Basic Functions of the Position
- Incumbent is a senior member of the Defensive Planning and Support Staff (DPSS) member and provides supervision of the DPSS staff in absence of the Defensive Security Coordinator (DSC) and Surveillance Detection Coordinator (SDC) as required.
- This subordinate Locally Employed Staff (LE Staff) member is responsible for the first-line management and supervision of the Local Guard Force (LGF) personnel and resources.
NOTE: All applicants MUST address each required qualification listed below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified:
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Law or Criminology is required.
- Minimum of three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in the commercial security guard business, civilian or government police, or military is required.
- Level IV (Fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing in English is required. Level III (Good working Knowledge) in Hausa languages is required. Language Proficiency will be tested.
- Thorough knowledge of security operations is required.
- Must be able to assess real-time threat information and issue orders for the immediate conduct of defensive operations
Hiring Preference Selection Process
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP**
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans' preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility.
- If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans' preference will not be considered in the application process.
- Mission HR's decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule
- The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the local security certification after selection.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.