- To support the (Child Care Core Group -CGPP), Katsina team in developing, implementing and maintaining effective and appropriate Immunization programme (Routine Immunization and Supplementary Immunization) activities in coordination with other team members, and in line with SCI guidelines and best practices.
- Responsible for direct implementation of all the Immunization (Routine Immunization and SIAs) support activities in 4 Save the Children supported LGAs
- Based on the project proposal, implementation plan, and donor requirements, Implement high Quality SIAs and Routine Immunization activities which is feasible, practical and will obtain valid and reliable information.
- Monitor the delivery of Vaccines to the LGAs by reviewing the vaccine distribution plan prepared by the cold chain officer. He or She should have a copy of vaccine distribution plan.
- Coordinate the development of REW Micro – Plan and its Implementation in SCI intervention LGAs, Wards and Health facilities.
- Monitor availability of the bundled vaccines at the LGAs and HFs.
- Monitor the delivery of vaccines from LGA cold store to all the wards / HFs in the LGA and ensure that the LGA / wards have vaccine distribution plans based on their REW micro plans.
- Monitor the REW micro plans developed for supported LGA and health facilities and monitor the proportion of planned RI sessions (fixed, outreach and mobile) that have been conducted in SCI intervention LGAs, wards and health facilities.
- Observe immunization sessions (if found taking place and fill the abridged checklist).
- Support the HFs to update RI monitoring charts and ensure that they are displayed.
- Ensure all HFs have updated Routine Immunization registers regularly.
- Coordinate RI Focal Persons Meeting as an avenue for experience sharing, dissemination of best Practices and use the avenue for RI data validation.
- Ensure that all Immunization tools are practical to use and provide necessary support to all RI Service providers on the effective use of Immunization tools.
- Work with partners, VWS and LGA team to strengthen reporting processes to ensure that all information and data is collected, documented, and collated in an accurate and timely manner.
- Create a system for ensuring that Immunization data obtained is also shared with communities, children, and other stakeholders through a regular feedback mechanism.
- Provide ongoing support to LGA teams, Partners, and Communities to maintain High Immunization Coverage.
- Work with LGA team to identify skill gaps that can be addressed in subsequent refresher trainings.
- Work with the CGPP Program Manager, LGA team and Other Partners to ensure that the Katsina CGPP Project is well linked and/or integrated with overall CGPP Immunization activities.
- Work with the project M&E officer to analyse information about the programme (Non – Compliant families, Number of new born, Zero dose, etc) and make recommendations for improvement.
- Preparation of monthly reports for Save the Children Nigeria and other partners involved in the project (including the donor) ensuring utmost quality.
- Training - Capacity development of relevant stakeholders at the field level.
Representation & Advocacy & Organisational Learning:
- Help shape broader sector strategies, ensuring the specific needs of children are being addressed, through engaging with partners (UN/NGO - eg through actively participating in inter-agency coordination forums), keeping informed on the activities of immunization and other agencies.
- Document lessons learned, best practice and case studies to shape in-country strategies and programme approaches, and contribute to broader sector learning.
- Pro-actively identify advocacy opportunities which link with wider organisational strategic objectives, and work to mobilise these into action.
- Demonstrate leadership in relation to Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures
- Ensure that the minimum standards of health are maintained in accordance with the immunization Codes of Conduct.
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced training in Child Health and immunization activities
- Minimum of 3 years practical experience working in an immunization programme.
- Fluency in English and Hausa (Spoken and Written) – this is a Community-based Position
- Strong analytic skills and an understanding of a range of methods use for resolving Non – Compliance
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement Social Mobilization/BCC Interventions to educate mothers and other caregivers on Immunization and its benefits.
- Good understanding of Immunization Indicators
- Ability to build support from staff across teams and across members, and to build the capacity of others.
- Proven ability to coordinate effective resource allocation to ensure quality Immunization programmes.
- Sound strategic thinking and planning skills, including ability to think creatively and innovate and to set priorities, manageable work plans and evaluate progress.
- Strong communications skills (both written and verbal). The ability to analyse complex data and summarise it for a range of different audiences.
- Experience of working within budget constraints.
- Commitment to support cross organisational initiatives.
- Commitment to team working and understanding of how to contribute.
- Ability to operate within a predominantly administratively self-servicing environment.
Desirable / Qualifications:
- Professional Qualification at Bachelors level, HND or Equivalent in Public Health; Registered Nurse / Midwife, Community Health specialist.
- 2 - 3 years’ experience with working in Immunization or Child Health related Project with local and or International NGOs
- Familiar with Immunization Indicators
- Advanced computer literacy (MS Office applications, Excel and Power Point, etc)
- Ability to work in partnership with Government and Development partners
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work within a culturally diverse stting
- Independence, adaptability and flexibility