The Engineering department design construction equipment for supply to global markets, which are assembled at the Caterpillar UK sites and in some cases also at other global locations. The department's main function is new product development, driven by legislation, customer requirements and the business needs.
The key role of this entry level engineering position is to learn and assist: to gain an understanding of Caterpillar's business, products, systems, and procedures; to learn and develop skills which result from the practical application of basic engineering knowledge and to provide assistance to a project team or others in the work group.
- To work as part of a design or system team, accountable for the delivery of specific design or development projects.
- To gain understanding of one or more of the following areas:
- Knowledge of design tools and process including Pro-E design, CAE, machine testing, systems integration.
- Development of product knowledge, including critical customer requirements, application profiles, competitive machine positioning.
- Development of supplier knowledge and capabilities including design for manufacturing and should cost modeling
- Possess at least a basic knowledge of construction equipment operation and design.
- Interest in automotive, industrial machine or agriculture would be beneficial.
- Competent using MS Office suite and ideally skilled in the use of 3D design tools such as Pro E.
- Highly self motivated.
- Desire to challenge both yourself and the organisation on delivery of technically superior cost effective designs and solutions.
- Potential to be a technical leader within Caterpillar.
- Good communication skills both written and verbal, a foreign language would be an asset.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a global team as well as on own initiative.
- Strong planning, organising and problem solving skills.
- Willing to travel and engage different cultures.
- A minimum of 2:1 honors degree level in engineering or similar technical discipline.
- Masters degree or further education would be an advantage.
- Industrial or work experience in a similar environment desired.