- A plumber reads blueprints, drawings and specifications to determine the layout of plumbing systems, water supply networks and waste and drainage systems.
- A plumber selects and inserts precept pieces of copper tubing and fittings in holes.
- Plumbers connect tubing and fittings using solder paste, or solder and torch, to form sewer, drain, and water lines.
- A plumber may direct workers engaged in preassembly and installation of wall systems, such as risers, air chambers, and shower assemblies.
- Repair and maintain plumbing, replacing defective washers, replacing or mending broken pipes, and opening clogged drains.
- Direct workers engaged in pipe cutting and preassembly and installation of plumbing systems and components.
- Install underground storm, sanitary and water piping systems and extend piping to connect fixtures and plumbing to these systems.
- Clear away debris in a renovation.
- Install oxygen and medical gas in hospitals.
- Use specialized techniques, equipment, or materials, such as performing computer-assisted welding of small pipes, or working with the special piping used in microchip fabrication.
- plumber is responsible for installing, repairing and maintaining pipes, fixtures and other plumbing used for water distribution and waste water disposal in commercial and industrial buildings.