• To provide Strategic and supervisory role to ensure the efficient and effective planning of the converged IP Datacomms/transport capacity for voice and data networks in line with the business requirements (required timelines, budget constraints and quality standards).
• To provide Supervisory and Operational Leadership for the team of individuals working on the planning of all PS and CS Core, edge and access networks
• To manage the design and planning of sustainable, future-proof IP and Core services networks that support the present and future subscriber base of MTN Nigeria
• To map out a technology roadmap for technological migration in line with global technology trends
• Extract value from what we already have by focusing on optimizing processes within the Unit/Department in line with the value creation philosophy. This includes individual contributions and recommendations to improve existing business project/initiative, capital/budget efficiency activities within the Unit, contracts review and negotiation in collaboration with the Procurement team, structural changes within the Unit etc.
• Drive Innovation by identifying and taking advantage of new business opportunities, e.g., by stimulating and encouraging new business opportunities, launch of products, product/process innovation, business model innovation etc.
• Maintain leadership in the ICT/Digital industry by influencing stakeholders within your immediate ecosystem for MTNN’s benefit. This includes participation in credible external think-tank sessions, involvement in inter-divisional focus Group sessions to improve business performance etc.
• Enhance/expand MTN’s role in the larger national macro environment by participating in CSR projects and/or NGO’s, involvement in recognized professional institutions, think-tank activities etc.
• Role model the vital behaviours needed to sustain organisational performance and drive people management activities by being the principal coach for your direct reports using the people management framework. Participate in employee engagement projects such as mentorship, facilitating programs, etc. In addition, support recruitment, on boarding and grievance management processes etc.
• Oversee the plan and design for nodes, sites and links within the national IP/MPLS Edge & Core Networks and ensure ongoing development to cater for new developments in the organization’s business plan.
• Strategic planning (brainstorming with all relevant departments) of IP transport and Core network
• Ensures that all the licensing requirements are met and controls budget directly related to any upgrades or licensing requirements
• Maintains capacity and functionality requirements timely and ahead of traffic for the PS Core, CS Core network elements
• Oversees the issues relating to resource requirements to complete critical design, planning and process tasks
• Supervise and produce network convergence hierarchy, topology, architecture and infrastructure redundancy plan for VPN service integration, regional Service provider edge aggregation and IP Core Transport via the multi-service backbone.
• Interface with Core network, Network operations, ENS, Transmission Specialists and Topology for planning of optic (DWDM) backbone connectivity, capacity planning and allocation for efficient transport of all internal and external customer data traffic.
• Supervise the plan, design and optimize routing & transport technologies for Provider Edge aggregation and Core transport network integration and verify requests, justify needs and classify all requested networks and services for MPLS VPN integration.
• Supervise the plan, deploy and evolve/extend IP/MPLS techniques towards the network Edge and access.
• Oversee plan, deploy and evolve Quality and Class of Service techniques at the network Edge and in the MPLS core network.
• Supervise all IP backbone integration events, approve work orders and control project processes for capacity expansion, node integration and/or new service introduction.
• Conduct weekly & monthly network performance monitoring, trend analyses, capacity planning and expansion in line with network growth trends and increases in all traffic/Service. (Internet, Voice, BB, Data, enterprise, Switch etc)
• Develop and evolve IP addressing, naming and numbering formats for all network nodes and elements in and outside the IP/MPLS backbone.
• Produce and evolve designs for integration and extension of IP/MPLS edge functionality to the Campus LAN Core at all IP Backbone locations. (IPRAN)
• Plan, schedule and conduct site visits and surveys for accurate and effective network design, dimensioning and integration planning.
• Recruits, develops, and retains people with outstanding potential
• Normal MTNN working conditions
• May be required to work extended hours
• National travel and a valid driver’s license.
• On standby 24/7 throughout the year
Experience & Training
• First Degree in any relevant engineering or science courses
• Fluent in English
• Minimum of 6 years’ experience which includes:
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience in an area of specialisation; with experience in supervising/managing others
• Experience working in a medium to large organization
• Extensive experience in ICT & Telecoms Service Provider network.
• Understanding of high capacity Packet & TDM transmission technologies & products, e.g. SDH, DWDM.
• Working knowledge of IP/MPLS, QOS standards & Networking protocols such as X25, TCP/IP, Frame Relay, ATM, MPLS and ATOM.
• Voice Networking Telecomm standards ETSI/ANSI, VOIP, C7 (SS7).
• Knowledge of advanced IP routing protocols (BGP, IS-IS, etc.).
• Advanced leadership programmes
• People Management
• Technical Project Management
• New technologies training
• Telecoms network design and planning principles
• BEd, BEng, BSc, BTech or HND