Reporting to: Manager-Materials
- The purpose of this role is to manage, organise, and develop the team in order to provide logistics services to projects and other stakeholders, by monitoring the supply chain from Purchase Order placement up to delivery at final destinations – e.g. required storage or fabrication facilities, on Snake Island or dedicated locations ‘off site’.
- To provide a safe plant and equipment service to user departments for the Logistics delivery; with the team to develop planning and control systems to effectively manage conflicting demands for cranes, trucks and related equipment; to manage and control labour and costs; to be able to justify priorities of tasks and present a flexible yet credible image to stakeholders, customers and management.
- To operate and manage operations safely and effectively; to inspire and train staff, with particular interest in developing local expertise.
- To demonstrate management responsibility for Logistics operations in all aspects for both corporate and project.
- With the Materials & Logistics Manager to establish and maintain a strong relationship with Logistics partners, particularly with regard to our freight forwarders, shipping Lines, and other sections within Nigerdock Supply Chain Team
Key aims and objectives:
- To promote a safe culture throughout the team and its operations, observing and developing operational performance in close relationship and compliance with the Nigerdock Management System & HSE Department.
- To operate at all times in a safe and environmentally responsible manner
- To provide sufficient labour and equipment team support to satisfy the demands of stakeholders.
- To plan, implement and execute all Nigerdock Snake Island Logistics requirements to meet stakeholder demand.
- To effectively manage freight forwarders, clearing agents, vendors and sub-contractors and there costs.
- To manage internal labour costs, reducing manpower requirements, including overtime, wherever possible.
- With partner interests develop process controls which improve Logistics performance and service levels, manage HSE, costs, and develop deliverables towards best practice solutions.
- To effectively manage staff / labour, plant and equipment in a safe and effective environment.
- To control costs: demurrage, refund claims, waivers, quick returns of empty, overtime, project contract rate, time-sheet, equipment and truck supply to projects.
- To take supply chain management objectives into the implementation phase.
- Manage Inbound Logistics, Outbound Logistics and internal distributions on Snake Island; the shipping lines, freight forwarder, haulage, terminal operators
- To consolidate and develop procedures, processes and control, for logistics operations.
- Attend necessary meetings: HSE, M & L meeting, projects meetings, clients meeting, subcontractors meetings / freight forwarder / haulage sub-contractors.
- Support Projects and Commercial in contract bidding/development in the areas of Logistics concern and applicable charges.
- Cost and Management reports.
- Staff and Labour reviews.
- To Procurement, Material Control, Warehousing within the SCM Department, Marine/Transport, and Commercial, Finance, SIMCO, Security, Shipyard, Safety, various Projects and departments– all operational stakeholders.
- To Clients, Freight Forwarders, Clearing Agents, Project Clients, Shipping Lines, Airlines, Customs, Vendors and Sub-contractors.
- Should have technical, management experience with evidence(s), ability to coordinate with plant operators and labour; possess a flexible approach to tasks but be capable of being definitive; safety conscious with a good operating and service knowledge of cranes, trucks, container handlers, fork lifts and similar equipment.
- The suitable candidate shall have a University Degree (or accepted equivalent training and experience) with a minimum of 10 years of experience in Logistics, Shipping & freight forwarding including a minimum of 3-5 years in a management position in freight / logistics/shipping or multimodal transport logistics organisation(s).
- Good negotiation skills, being organised as a good coordinator and communicator.
- Competency in handling international trade (import and export), shipping, logistics (sea, air and road freight), Project cargo, Liner & Tramp shipping, Customs, NAFDAC, Inspection Agents, Insurance, Bank-Letter of Credit, Freight Forwarder, Freight-negotiation, Chartering, Contract-development, Safety, Shipping lines and Terminal operators’ matters, procedure(s) and process(es) and Control management.