Responsible for assessing the financial risk of insuring prospective and current clients by identifying, evaluating, and estimating the level of risk involved, establishing premiums matched to the risk and recommending coverage.
- Strong Analytical, logical and investigative skills.
- Flexibility to adapt to work effectively in different situations.
- Independent decision making.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to properly evaluate and select risk
- Problem solving skills
- Technical proficiency in rating and underwriting of reinsurance accounts
- Strong Negotiation and organizational skills
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel and/or Access
Education & Experience
- First degree in insurance, business or related field preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years experience as an underwriter.
- Health Insurance background would be an advantage
- Strong leadership skills, with capacity to motivate others amongst the team
- Ability to make decisions in an effective manner utilizing available and sourced data
- Proven ability to look at the overall picture, figure out the vital details and quickly summarize these points
- Ability to build strong relationships with both clients and colleagues
- Good communication skills, both oral and written
- Proficiency in Living Benefits underwriting an asset
- Ability to travel as needed for management and client meetings