Please exercise due diligence when applying for this job vacancy.
Nigeria has an abundant mining sector, with active mines of gold, base metals, gypsum and salt. Mining and exploration is carried out by the private sector. As mine geologists, you will study the relationship between geology and ore formation and locate new mineral resources. You are mainly responsible for assessing and analyzing geological data in order to advise on short-term and long-term mine production plans.
• Assessing the feasibility and the potential for commercial benefit of new sites
• Managing budgets
• Training and supervising staff
• Liaising with and advising managerial and technical staff
• Ascertaining extraction risks
• Using specialist computer applications to maximize planning and production
• Analyzing data
• Monitoring and evaluating underground performance
• Managing construction projects
• Ensuring that operations comply with health and safety requirements
• Keeping records
• Making sure that equipment used is safe
• Costing and organizing supplies
• Planning and implementing extraction systems
Key skills for mining engineers
• Problem solving and analytical skills
• Strong technical skills
• Team working skills
• Managerial skills
• IT skills Qualifications and training required A degree in geology, mining engineering, mineral or quarry engineering, or minerals surveying is normally required for entry. A mining engineering degree is the most widely recognized qualification from any recognized university.