VN No.: VN-NGR-03-2016
Location: Maiduguri with travel within and outside Borno State
Type of Appointment: Special Service Agreement (SSA) for 7 Weeks
Background/Purpose of the Consultancy
- The North East of Nigeria conflict severely impacted children. In particular, both boys and girls, have been used by armed groups both in support and combat roles. Girls have also been subjected to sexual violence during the course of the conflict.
- It is critical that children are supported in the short term and longer term to reintegrate into their communities.
- The purpose of this consultancy is to support the UNICEF Nigeria Country Office to scale up its emergency response programme related to children associated with armed forces and groups (CAAFAG) to ensure fulfillment of UNICEF’s CCC Child Protection Commitment 7.
- Under the guidance of Chief of Child Protection, Child Protection in Emergencies Manager and Child Protection Specialist (Borno), the consultant will contribute to the implementation of the UNICEF’s programme on Children Associated with Armed forces and Groups (CAAFAG).
Major tasks to be accomplished:
- Assist in developing locally-informed programme for community-based reintegration of children associated with armed groups in the North-East
- Scoping and assessment on the available services, programmes and potential partner organizations for the operation of a community reintegration scheme and opportunities for the establishment of a transit centre for children associated with armed groups in Borno State
- University degree in Social Science, Law, Social Development, Human Rights or related field
- Minimum of two years of work experience in child protection, child rights, youth programmes or emergency operations/relief assistance
- Experience in undertaking scoping missions or field research is highly desirable.
- Relevant work experience with nongovernmental organizations, UN or government is desired
- Experience on reintegration programmes for children associated with armed groups is desirable
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Ability to working dependently
- Knowledge of common computer software, such as MS Excel, MS Word, PowerPoint and Access
- Excellent communication skills - both oral and written
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of Hausa and Kanuri would be an advantage.