Vacancy Notice No: AFRO/15/FT537
Contract type: Fixed-term Appointment
Duration of contract: One year
Organization unit: AF_WSR AF West Sub-Region (AF_WSR) / AF_NGA Nigeria (AF_NGA) HSS CLUSTER
Objectives of the Programme
- WHO Representative's Office supports the formulation, implementation and evaluation of National Health For All strategies; develops and manages the Organization's programme of technical co-operation at country level and coordinates the Organization's activities with those of other collaborators and with the Government's National Health Programme.
Description of Duties
Under the direct supervision of the HSS cluster lead he/she will:
- Facilitate the collaboration between EDM/AFRO and EDM/HQ and stakeholders in the pharmaceutical sector in the country to help develop, implement and monitor national drug policies and improve access to essential drugs for priority diseases such as HIV/AIDS; TB; Malaria.
- Assist in the monitoring of the pharmaceutical sector and the assessment of problem areas and help define technical support to be provided; co-ordinate WHO technical input with Ministry of Health and with other stakeholders in the pharmaceutical sector including authorities responsible for Traditional Medicines.
- Help identify skills and projects carried out in the country that should be supported; actively contribute to strengthening of institutions and of human resources development programs for health care providers, NGOs, and other stakeholders.
- Ensure multi-sector collaboration and assist the Ministry of Health in the co-ordination of partners involved in the pharmaceutical and traditional medicine sectors e.g. International agencies, NGOs and relevant networks to ensure an integrated and appropriate technical support to the country.
- Perform other tasks as agreed with EDM/DAP and EDM/AFRO for the provision of technical support for the development, implementation and monitoring of national policies on drugs and traditional medicine in the country as well as in neighbouring countries as part of WHO sub-regional and regional strategy to country support in Africa.