Purpose of job
- To provide technical and management oversight of the DFID-funded Justice for All (J4A) Programme, ensuring successful delivery of the programme's outputs.
Context and Environment
The British Council is the managing agent for the £48m+ DFID-funded Justice for All (J4A) Programme. This programme aims to support Nigerian stakeholders through provision of services to the Federal Government of Nigeria, as well as selected state governments in the DFID focal states of Lagos, Kano, Enugu, Kaduna, Jigawa and the FCT. The expected outcome is to improve the capability, accountability and responsiveness of the key organisations in the safety, security and justice sector. The specific outputs of the J4A Programme are:
- More effective and accountable policing
- Access to justice and equitable results improved
- More effective and strengthened anti-corruption agencies
- Cross-sector coordination and external oversight enhanced
Accountabilities, Responsibilities and Main Duties
- The National Programme Manager is accountable for:
- Delivery of the Programme's technical outputs and results to DFID's satisfaction;
- The financial management of the Programme to DFID and British Council corporate standards.
- The National Programme Manager is responsible for:
- Managing the programme delivery team (technical and managerial);
- Managing the programme office, including resources;
- Managing oversight of robust M&E systems and processes.
- The National Programme Manager will serve as the Programme's key point of contact for DFID, local partners and other relevant stakeholders.
The main duties include:
- Safety and security oversight of the entire programme
- Provide overall strategic direction in consultation with DFID
- Lead the preparation of work plans, technical reports and monitoring & evaluation reports
- Oversight of implementation & monitoring of all programme activities
- Oversee and contribute substantially to the M&E and learning strategy & framework
- Oversight of project finances, grants management and the value-for-money (VFM) strategy
- Oversee recruitment and performance management of programme staff and consultants
- Relationship & stakeholder management, including Federal Government, state governments, MDAs, FCO, DFID & other international donors
- Develop, maintain and regularly update risk management strategy
- Lead on communications, publicity and 'visibility' of J4A with Nigerian media