Duties and Responsibilities
The Finance Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Prepare and monitor a shadow budget to adequately capture project expenditures by activity.
- Review and analyse data with respect to the finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements.
- Provide support to the Project Coordinator with respect to the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions / revisions.
- Review, analyse and provide input into finalization of project budgets.
- Monitor budget implementation and determine / recommend reallocation of funds when and where necessary.
- Liaise with the Project Coordinator to implement the project in line with UN Financial Rules and Regulations;
- Continuously monitor expenditures to ensure that they remain within authorized levels, and that delivery targets are met.
- Administer and monitor budget resources, including review of agreements, grants and cost plans, ensuring compliance with UN regulations and rules and established policies and procedures.
- Prepare relevant documentation with respect to budget performance submissions and maintain adequate Budget /expenditure tracking system, ensuring that 100% of project expenditure are captured
- Advise project management on all aspects of accounts maintenance, budget control, incomes and other financial issues regarding projects implementation, i.e. obligations and future programme/projects budgetary implications.
- Carry out reconciliation of accounts and expenditures with UNDP Atlas and UNODC ProFi
- Supervise the closing of the monthly project accounts, assist in ensuring timely submission of Management Expenditures data to HQ and the requested financial reports to UNDP; reconciliation and replenishment of bank accounts.
- Ensure strategic financial resource management: suggest measures for adequate optional utilization of project funds, and recommend cost savings and redeployments as appropriate.
- Act as key interface for project audits and accounts examinations.
- Maintains corporate automated financial systems (ProFi, FOML); for project finance, supervise upgrades and integrations; trains finance/programme staff on their application.
- Establish and maintain within the Project Core Unit a set of sound policies, procedures, standards and tools, which are consistent with UN policy and practice in order to ensure proper accounting, financial management and control.
- Participate in the preparation and implementation of the project work plan and budget to ensure the compatibility with work priorities and objectives, taking into account the most effective use of resources.
- In collaboration with the Project Coordinator, liaise with UNODC HQ to secure Grant approval
- Ensure prompt disbursement of grants in line with approved guidelines
- Monitor grant retirements from grantee
- Ensure proper tracking of all project assets in collaboration with UNODC Administrative Associate
- Liaise with bank for all workshop payments and ensuring proper retirement.
- Oversee proper recording of all project assets and related data.