Mobile Access Team leads design of all radio technologies - 2G, 3G, 4G within Teleconica (UK), and the delivery of the supporting Fixed Network (RNCs, BSCs, SRXs). The team is also resonsible for Network Performance reporting and Radio Optimisation to maximised customer experience.
To manage the performance of the planning and delivery service Supplier for the Mobile Access Fixed Network (‘Fixed Network’), ensuring that requirements are defined and that build takes place in line with Telefónica’s requirements and ensuring that agreed time, cost and quality metrics are met. To ensure that Fixed Network capacity is maintained in line with Telefónica requirements and that customer experience is maintained to agreed standards. Also to be the single point of contact for Telefónica, ensuring that forecast information is provided and that Fixed Network build requirements are defined in line with agreed timescales. Further, to provide design approval for architectural plans produced by the Supplier, an escalation point for any issues and to manage Fixed Network related commercial and other discussions between Telefónica and 3rd party suppliers.
To work with suppliers to understand the roadmap for new developments, and to produce recommendations to the Telefonica senior team for architectural change on the Fixed Network layer.
To be the Telefonica responsible owner for the BSC, RNC and SRX platform, including budgetary ownership.
- Agreement with planning and delivery service supplier of roadmap for Fixed Network growth and act as Telefónica single point of contact for inputs / scope of requirements of quarterly build plan, including;
- Radio build
- Project work
- O2 driven architectural changes
- New functionality
- Negotiation, agreement / design approval of any supplier driven architectural change requests
- Review / approval of supplier build plans – budget ownership
- Prepare business cases and gain Telefónica approvals for all Fixed Network related spend
- Escalation point for / management of interfaces with retained organization
- Determine and set performance metrics;
- Manage the performance of the supplier against the contract - SLA / KPI management
- Definition of Fixed Network technical requirements for any future RFP
- Commercial discussions with 3rd party suppliers
- Design approval of supplier provided designs as required.
- Manage the annual Mobile Access Fixed Network budget of c£20M pa, which covers the BSC, RNC, SRX platforms and all associated planning, delivery and implementation work.
- Accurately forecast budgetary spend and ensure that actual spend is within the agreed budgetary envelope.
- Demonstrable decision making, based on total cost of ownership, skills and experience of building networks of contacts across teams and functions.
- Assertiveness and the ability to cut through obstacles to get things done.
- The ability to work effectively with and shape the thinking of a group of technical experts;
- The ability to understand the competing interests of different technical teams, and to drive the best technical decisions for Telefónica;
- Experience of setting and driving performance through KPI’s and PI’s
- Experience of contractual negotiations and vendor / supplier management
- A good understanding of mobile networks, particularly at the BSC and RNC layer;
- Experience of managing an annual budget of >£15M pa
- Recent relevant industry experience – at least 2 years in the last 5 spent working in a relevant / related field;
- An understanding of NSN BSC and RNC products and Ericsson BSC and RNC products – in particular the key parameters whch affect capacity;
- Ideally previous experience of 2G and 3G RAN high level design on BSC’s and RNC’s and associated equipment;
- Ideally with a Degree level qualification in a relevant technical area.