The SPRING Project in Nigeria is looking for a nutrition consultant that specializes in the context of HIV/AIDS guidance and training for orphans and vulnerable children (OVCs) ages 0-17 years. We are looking for an international or Nigerian local consultant to complete this work. If an international consultant is selected, work can be done remotely, with some travel to Nigeria. This consultancy will take place between February - May/June, 2016.
CURRENT STATUS OF ACTIVITY:
World Health Organization (WHO) recently issued a national guideline on infant and young child feeding (IYCF) in the context of HIV/AIDS. The project has begun collecting existing local and international materials and training packages related to nutrition and HIV used by the CSOs to be reviewed by the consultant. Additional data gathering and production of a training package suitable for use by the CSOs for the communities they serve will be needed. The completed training package will be used to train a cadre of approximately 125 master trainers from government and CSO staff across five Nigerian states and the package will remain available for the CSOs to use in the future to train additional master trainers.
OBJECTIVES OF CONSULTANCY:
The purpose of this activity is to provide materials and training on nutrition in the context of HIV/AIDS that will cover guidance for working with OVCs aged 0-17 years and relevant information for community volunteers and civil society organizations. The consultant will work closely with SPRING/Home Office technical providers, SPRING/Nigeria staff, and an existing artistic team (a graphic designer and illustrator) to adapt and design a training package that ensures integrity, appropriateness of materials for the Nigerian context and intended audience, and visual consistency with other SPRING/Nigeria products.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF CONSULTANT:
The consultant will be tasked with leading the adaptation and development of the training materials and assisting with the design and execution of a master training (28 days LOE).
- Review materials already collected from the CSOs and international sources for their ability to be adapted for the target audience in Nigeria.
- Locate additional source material as appropriate.
- Collaborate with SPRING and the STEER and WEWE CSOs to lead the development of a training package of a course for 3-5 days.
- Lead pre-testing of the training materials and adapt them as necessary.
- Train 5 SPRING staff as master trainers.
- Doctor or nurse; or Master’s degree or PHD in public health, nutrition, or related field. Technical knowledge and previous work in the field of nutrition and HIV/AIDS required.
- Experience in developing or adapting training materials/packages.
- Experience in training of trainers.
- Familiarity with Anglophone West Africa, particularly Nigeria.
- Experience working with Ministries of Health and Women’s Affairs highlight desirable.
- If international consultant, ability to travel is required.