- The Optometric Technician is considered a paraprofessional role. In this career, your work is done under the supervision and guidance of an optometrist.
- As a technician, your main duty will be to help the optometrist with eye examinations.
- Your job duties will also involve assisting with patient eye care and examination, helping with the maintenance of patient records and handling some technical duties involving equipment and eyeglass preparation.
- Help prepare patients before an examination
- Gather medical history information
- Explain the exam process and administering tests to determine the visual capabilities of a patient
- Perform therapy exercises or procedures with a patient under the direction of an Optometrist
- Record keeping
- Inventory within exam rooms/laboratory
- Keep notes during an examination
- Assist with minor repairs of broken or damaged glasses
- Educate patients on how to care for their contact lenses or glasses
- Advise during frame selection
- Take measurements for the preparation of lenses
- Minor maintenance and repair for examination equipment or other office equipment
- The individual must have a minimum of a Optometry Technician Certificate with current license
- 1-2 years of experience
- The individual must be computer literate
- Strong written, verbal and communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Good attention to detail
- Productive and quality focused
- Drive to continue learning throughout career