When you are a Packaging Engineer at Caterpillar, you will execute the CPS Packaging Process aligned with Standard Practice 20, corporate shipping guidelines, quality and cleanliness specifications and inventory warehousing standards for a facility.
* Develop the packaging plan and work with key groups to ensure material is presented to the line properly.
* Design and develop standard work to improve packaging and containerization for material from the source of supply to the point of use, leveraging the Corporate Container Program and Global Transportation processes.
* Provide NPI support (returnable containers CPPD)
* Develop packaging solutions to protect finished painted components
* Design for transport efficiency
* Perform containerization analysis and quoting
* Validate new packaging and containers during pilot phase
* Coordinate with assembly planning for line-side storage and ergonomic considerations
* Develop kitting packaging / presentation
* Validate returnable quantities through simulations
* Resolve safety and / or quality issues caused by current packaging
* Resolve issues reported by 3PL or carriers
* Packaging non-conformance process
* Packaging compliance supporting Standard Practice 20
* Supplier / carrier communication & training
* Container tracking system management
* Achieve supply chain performance targets related to packaging and containerization of material.
* College or university degree related to Supply Chain, or equivalent experience.
* Experience with 6 Sigma Project teams
* CPS Functional Job Role Qualified
* APICS CPIM or CSPC National Certification highly desired
* Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
* Excellent interpersonal, teamwork, organization and communication skills
* Thorough understanding of company policies and procedures
* CAD or other similar electronic drafting experience.
* A background in Manufacturing, Operations, Inventory Management, Material Requirements and/or Supply Chain/Logistics.
* Familiar with company policies and procedures with a strong department background.
* Able to build strong relationships with various stakeholders.