Lagos - Political/Economic Section
Work Hours: Full-time; 40 hours/week
Basic Function of the Position
- The incumbent supports Pol/Econ Section by assisting in analyzing policy issues including national politics, local politics in Nigeria’s 17southern states, human rights, trafficking in persons, religious freedom, and other social or political developments.
- S/he communicates the significance and underlying drivers of each issue to Foreign Service Officers in the section.
- Additionally, s/he maintains a wide range of contacts at various levels and in various sectors, including government, academia, and NGOs.
Note: All applicants MUST address each required qualification listed below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- Bachelor's Degree in Political Science, History, Philosophy, Law, Sociology, Economics, Business, Communications or related field is required.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a position requiring strong analytical and writing skills is required.
- Level IV (Fluent) Speaking /Reading/Writing in English Language is required. Language proficiency will be tested.
- Thorough understanding of Nigeria’s political and economic systems, constitution, and history is required. Must have broad range of contacts across a variety of organizations, including politics, government, business, academia, and civil society.
- Must be able to analyze, organize, and present information clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Spreadsheet, and PowerPoint is required.
Hiring Preference Selection Process
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP**
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans' preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility.
- If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans' preference will not be considered in the application process.
- Mission HR's decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply.
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PAS) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
- The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the local security certification after selection.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
Or Ordinarily Resident (OR) - N8,795,684 p.a. (Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-10
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
NOR - Not-Ordinarily Resident - AEFM - US$58,032 p.a.
EFM/MOH - US$49,804 (Starting Salary) p.a. Position Grade: FP-05/5*
How to Apply
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus,
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application.
- Any other documentation such as degrees or diplomas earned and NYSC Certificates/exemptions or awards.
- A type-written and signed application letter specifically applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB.
- Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.