Recruitment Type: National (1-year renewable contract)
- The successful applicant will use the existing GBS data to develop an informative panel of allele specific single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) and be responsible for the applicability/suitability of the SNPs panel for cassava identity validation.
- He or she will also be involved in all aspects of DNA fingerprinting of cassava accessions using this panel.
Terms of Reference
- Conversion of SNP markers from GBS to a panel of informative allele-specific assays (LGC genomics or Illumina SNP chip) for fingerprinting and validation of the identity of accessions within cassava germplasm collection maintained by the GRC.
- DNA fingerprinting of cassava accessions of GRC and use in identity confirmation and studies of genetic relatedness.
- Liaison with external service providers for SNP assays and their interpretation.
- Liaison with GRC Database Manager on storage of fingerprint information linked to accession level information.
- Capacity building of GRC staff and students.
- Contributions to reports and publications.
Qualification, Experience and Skills
- The candidate should have a PhD in Plant Genetics, Bioinformatics or related discipline. Experience in DNA markers and their application to crop improvement would be an advantage
- Sound understanding of population genetics and diversity analyses.
- Experience with the analysis of next generation sequencing data.
- Good knowledge of sample tracking systems such Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMs).
- Familiarity with plant genetic resources, diversity analysis and genebanks would be an advantage.
- Basic knowledge in Linux, R and related packages, scripting knowledge would be an advantage.