Under the general supervision of the Manager, OFSD.1, the Principal/Senior Investment Officer will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
1. Participating in or leading the preliminary evaluation of both lending and non-lending projects. This involves the initial screening of project applications, carrying out of desk reviews and evaluation of feasibility studies, preparing preliminary evaluation notes for presentation to the Department Management Team and more detailed project concept notes to obtain concept clearance for full appraisal or fact-finding missions.
2. Participating in or leading the planning and execution of appraisal and fact-finding missions. This includes developing terms of reference for the mission and for short-term consultants to be engaged for the mission, coordinating the work of the mission team which usually includes professional staff from other departments within the Bank, and carrying out independent research. The work also includes assessing the risks of projects and advising on appropriate structure or conducting preliminary negotiations with sponsors.
3. Preparing or leading the preparation of project appraisal reports for presentation to the Department, the various review committees and finally to the Board of Directors. Develop innovative and appropriate financial structures for complex transactions.
4. Ensuring that all conditions precedent have been fulfilled on a timely basis and all fees are billed and collected from clients.
5. Developing relationships within the Bank and with other institutions involved in financial markets development; represent the Bank at and participate in seminars, workshops and conferences dealing with financial markets issues.
6. Playing an active role in coaching and mentoring more junior investment officers.
7. Coordinating closely with social environmental and technical assistance colleagues in order to add value to our clients’ businesses, find pragmatic solutions to the specific sector challenges, and achieve sustainable development impact.
8. Assist in integrity due diligence for potential clients.
9. Maintaining knowledge of African financial markets & transaction structuring and provide market intelligence.
10. Building and maintaining strong relationships with clients, global and regional private businesses, banking and multilateral partners to deepen the financial sector and to develop specific investment opportunities.