General Description includes complex mechanical engineering design, analysis and development of an assigned scope of work in a CB&I project and/or specific complex deliverables such as pressure vessels, heat transfer equipment, rotating equipment and piping engineering. Work includes, among other things, conceptual studies, cost and planning studies, layouts, design calculations, specification development and supervising vendor packages for equipment and mechanical systems. Is able to effectively communicate complex technical solutions and concepts to other engineers and non-engineers. Assists with training other engineers by providing instruction on new technologies and/or a specialization. Supports the development of new technologies and methods. Is the highest level Engineer position and is looked to for technical expertise. Maintains and promotes a focus on CB&I’s end product whether engineering, fabrication or construction. Ensures effective communications among other engineering disciplines. Ensures effective management of change. Assumes responsibility for cost, schedule, quantity and budget control.
· Applies all HSE requirements in the executing of the work.
· Achieve the total quality and HSE objectives set for the project.
· Applies all relevant procedures, practices and standards.
· Specifies equipment in accordance with process and project requirements.
· Writes and handles equipment requisitions in accordance with project requirements.
· Makes technical evaluations of incoming quotations from bidders and checks same for completeness of scope and compliance with specifications.
· Witness / evaluate performance / functional tests of complex equipment.
· Share and explain all relevant information to support the EPC work process, ensure that this information is current and the basis is understood.
· Carries out all relevant administrative tasks.
· Replaces the lead engineer when necessary.
· Takes the lead over a number of requisitions within a discipline project team.
· Play an active role in project requirements where there is room for improvement (value cost engineering).
· Show flexibility and ensure proper hand-over with regards to:
o The reassignment to other projects.
o The replacement of colleagues during illness and holidays.
o The provision of assistance to other colleagues with heavy workload (also other projects) when possible / desirable.
o The managing / learning of current / future working methods and software applications.
· Make work improvement recommendations.
· As part of proposal team, prepare part of proposal, negotiate scope of work.
· Interview / screen candidates for staff / hires.
· Accepts all tasks of lower level and in consultation with his superior certain tasks of a higher level.
· Define resources required to perform the work.
· Control changes and report deviations to the project management team.
· Execute project close-out activities and communicate lessons learned.
· Develops together with Suppliers / Procurement the Project Engineering / Procurement strategies for complex equipment.
· Defines a scope of work from contract documents and manages engineering cost conscious.
· Quickly grasps the consequence of modifications in an existing plant or assesses work for a “first” project.
· Carries joint responsibility to negotiate a scope of work with Project Team / Client directly.
· Part of proposal team to acquire new work, prepares part of proposals.
· Serves as source of mechanical information.
· Participate in process studies.
· Advises and assists in resolving equipment problems during engineering, construction, commissioning and operation.
Chartered Mechanical Engineer experienced with specification, evaluation and purchase of offshore pedestal cranes, lifeboats, loading arms, jetty gangways and minor lifting equipment for at least 10 years. Must be conversant with UK and Norwegian sector lifting and crane regulations. Ability to write offshore performance standards, mechanical handling philosophies and executing mechanical handling studies. Ability to use the REVIEW package in the 3D PDMS model preferred. Ability to use PDMS a benefit.