Under the overall supervision of the Vice-President OIVP, the Head of SOU will have both technical and managerial responsibilities. The incumbent is also expected to develop an understanding of the dynamics of AfDB regional and sector portfolios and to actively communicate with their respective portfolio managers to explore areas of potential SOU value addition. He/she will be :
- Assuming leadership during the SOU’s startup, including hiring and managing staff, setting work assignments, as well as supervising consultants and liaising with other AfDB units as required in the task of developing policies, procedures, guidelines, and manuals for SOU’s continuing operations;
- Approving or obtaining approvals for overall asset-resolution objectives;
- Identifying with SOU staff the specific targets, milestones, and other objectives against which performance assessments will be applied;
- Undertaking restructuring and recovery efforts regarding jeopardy or distressed investment cases by taking over assets deemed nonperforming or impaired or in risk of becoming nonperforming or impaired, from Portfolio Officers in a structured and documented fashion;
- Analysing nonperforming and impaired or potentially nonperforming and impaired transactions in order to determine and present the best course of action in terms of asset resolution to the respective approval authority within the Bank.
- At least a Master's Degree or equivalent in economics, finance, accounting or related fields. An additional qualification such as Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) will be an added advantage;
- At least 12 years of relevant experience in an international bank, multilateral/bilateral development organization, or consulting firm. Strong experience in managing corporate and capital restructurings, preferably in the areas of credit is required; in addition to financial analysis, debt re-profiling, recapitalization, pre-and post-default operational restructuring, and management/sale/liquidation distressed asset;
- Excellent technical knowledge and demonstrated track record in all areas of credit risk management of individual transactions. Proven ability to capture the essence in terms of risks of transactions under review, using the concepts and tools available;
- Experience in valuation of listed and unlisted equities and ability to assess proposed exit strategies, and experience with Private Equity Funds would be an advantage;
- Strong analytical abilities, as well as negotiation and transaction execution skills
- Sound business judgment, with creative problem solving skills
- Ability to build effective client relationships (internally and externally), to represent SOU effectively within and outside the AfDB, and to play an active role in knowledge sharing;
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver high-quality work within tight deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including demonstrated ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and tactfully to a variety of audiences within and outside the AfDB; and