The Engineer will act as guardian of the defined operating envelopes with respect to hulls for existing and new FPSOs and other floating systems in the offshore area of Shell in Nigeria. He/She will participate in the provision of hull analysis and design support to new and on-going projects in Deep Water Projects including brown field assessment.
Responsibilities for the role will in particular involve:
- Evaluate various hull systems and prepare concept selection reports,and basis for design.
- Perform design and analyses of various types of hulls of floating systems including FPSO,FSO,TLP,Semi-submersibles and Spars
- Specify and design hull systems such as Living Quarters,porches,bollards and other hull appendages.
- Specify requirements for fabrication,installation and precommissioning.
- Prepare technical specifications for hulls in support of invitation to tender.
- Participate in design reviews,audits and other structural-related reviews.
- Train young engineers and engineers new to the hull systems analyses and design.
B.Sc./B.Eng in structural engineering, marine engineering, mechanical engineering or naval architecture with a minimum of 15 years’ offshore experience incorporating the following:
- A minimum of 10 years’ design experience at level for studies and detailed designs of hulls
- A good understanding of Industry, with the ability to challenge standards and current engineering practices
- Full understanding of classification societies and their design requirements
- Proven ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team as well and to work independently with a minimum of supervision. This Principal offshore structural engineer must have demonstable knowledge/skill level in HSSE and applications within the Oil and gas Industry.
- Working knowledge of the following software is mandatory: Any Class software for hull design, Orcaflex, ANSYS,
- Working knowledge of SACS, USFOS and COSMOS and any software used in global motion analysis will be an advantage.