The Principal Subsea Controls Engineer will be responsible for providing engineering and coordination skills (as “subsea controls work package lead engineer”) to assigned project team towards delivering a reliable, completely functional subsea control system on schedule and within budget. The systems consist of both topsides and subsea components.
The work spans FEED, detail design and execution phases of our ongoing deep water development projects. It also includes specialist/trouble-shooting support covering both onshore and offshore during the pre-commissioning/ commissioning phases of the project.
The scope will also involve providing support to the subsea surveillance team for operating assets in the planning and execution of intervention activities for subsea facilities and topsides located equipment (HPU/HCU, umbilical termination assemblies, Master Control Stations, Electrical Power Units).
For all assigned projects or operations support activities:
• Ensure that all deliverables, including associated responsibilities and controls as defined in the quality assurance framework for subsea control and ensure compliance with specified company & industry subsea standards
• Identify the specific functional requirements of the subsea control system for both topsides and subsea interface, including identifying, reviewing and applying relevant new technology.
• Develop/review schedules for own discipline activities,and determine the deliverables and hold points necessary to meet the project requirements.
• Monitor progress throughout the project phases and ensure that the delivered system meets the requirements/specifications, including project targets for schedule, cost, production build-up, operability and reliability.
• Work with colleagues from Controls and Automation (Topsides), Operational Readiness and other relevant disciplines to define required subsea control system interfaces.
• Ensure that the systems are properly tested and outcomes documented prior to deployment by development of detailed procedures and assignment of experienced QA/QC personnel.
• Ensure that the systems are installed correctly via creation of thorough installation and pre-commissioning procedures and that interfaces with all project team personnel are properly effectively managed.
• Carry out project learning and/or after action reviews to document problems and prevent reoccurrences.
• Provide technical mentoring & transfer learning to less experienced local staff.
• Ensure that all work is done in a manner consistent with Shell’s minimum standards and policies.
• Respond to technical issues and design questions relating to existing infrastructure on Bonga FPSO
• Motivating and coaching less experienced colleagues.
• Collaborate with professional colleagues outside SNEPCo to deliver quality and seamless service to our customers as needed.
A recognized B.Sc. in Control and Automation Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
• At least 12 years experience in Control and Automation engineering with at least 8 years experience directly related to subsea controls and automation in a project environment.
• Knowledge of existing standards and ability to develop Subsea Controls System functionality requirements for new deep-water development projects.
• Played a significant role on a major project. Demonstrated capability to proactively implement plans, follow through with sustained execution and to meet project milestones
• Good supervisory qualities and experience, including good communication skills, and proactive commitment to HSE
• Ability to deal with multiple, often conflicting, goals and priorities
• Demonstrated effectiveness in driving change.
• Strong interpersonal skills – able to influence and develop relationships across disciplines and culture, be comfortable coaching and motivating others and delivering through others.
• Familiar with project development challenges in Nigeria or in other regions with similar challenges.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Skillful at leading through influence.
• Values and is open to listening to stakeholders perspectives, maintain composure under pressure while providing clear and decisive leadership.