Introduction to Save the Children and project background
Save the Children is the leading independent organization creating lasting change in the lives of children in over 120 Countries around the world. Save the Children has extensive experience designing and implementing School Health and Nutrition (SHN) programs. In 2013, Save the Children and Procter & Gamble (P&G) partnered to drive profound changes in the lives, health, and well being of children in need. In its second year of operation, the SHN program in Nigeria is working in 10 model schools in Lagos, Island.
School Health and Nutrition programs have been proven to provide a critical means to improve both the educational performance and the wellbeing of children. The goal of this project is to improve the educational and health status of school-age children by building on existing SHN policies and working with partners in the school and health system through five key objectives:
Objective 1: Increase availability of services for school-based health, hygiene and nutrition
Objective 2: Improve the quality of the school environment.
Objective 3: Improve knowledge, attitudes and interest toward using health services and health protective behaviors.
Objective 4: Improve the local and community support environment.
Objective 5: Improve the national policy and support environment.
The project aims to assess the impact of SHN on: (1) the school environment, particularly water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) infrastructure; (2) integration of school health policies; and (3) student’s Knowledge, Attitude and Practices (KAP) of health and hygiene focused on 4 key topics (WASH, Menstrual Hygiene Management, Oral Hygiene & Malaria).
A school health policy exists in the Federal Ministry of Education (FMoH) to address the basic health and nutrition needs of school-age children; however, to the knowledge of Save the Children, implementation of school health and nutrition in a comprehensive manner was lacking in Lagos Island public schools. Save the Children has therefore worked at the school, community (SBMC and Parent forums), and local government level to develop their capacity to initiate and grow comprehensive implementation of SHN activities in Lagos Island.
Purpose & Scope of the Consultancy
The purpose of engaging a program consultant is to facilitate the effective completion of all Health & Hygiene Africa program activities, and support the project close out process. Specifically the program consultant when engaged will perform among other identified activities the following:
- Ensure that every activity detailed on the project workplan is completed with activity reports
- Support the asset collection team through the process, from securing consent to the documentation of success stories
- Provide programmatic support to the MEAL consultant in conducting the endline survey
- Ensure the effective filing and preservation of all project documents
- Plan high-level stakeholders close out meeting in conjunction with Advocacy team
- Support BCC consultant in the development and pretest of IEC/Teacher resource materials
- Support project schools/SBMC to strengthen their school development plans with integrated SHN components.
- Support the SHN Advisor on other key project deliverables as needed.
Skills and competencies required
- Master’s degree is preferred in education, health science, public health or social sciences. A bachelor’s degree is acceptable.
- Relevant training or proven experience in community mobilization.
- Knowledge of group facilitation and/or training experience.
- Experience in community-based nutrition and education services.
- Demonstration of ability to work with or without supervision to ensure program success in an urban/rural setting.
- Fluency in oral and written English. Working knowledge of indigenous local language (Yoruba) is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team player.
- Strong communication skills, verbal and non-verbal
- Advanced Computer literacy – Microsoft office, telecommunications and email.
Key deliverables, outputs and expectation of this consultancy
The Consultant will deliver the following outputs:
- Program activity reports
- Organized filing system for all project documents
- First draft of Final Project Narrative
The program consultant will report directly to the SHN Advisor.
Duration of consultancy
The program consultant will be engaged for 3-months. All key deliverables must be completed within this time frame. The consultant’s performance will be appraised at the end of this 3-month period.