Location: Abuja - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Work Hours: Full-time; 40 hours/week
Basic Function of the Position
- Under the supervision of the Branch Chief for Epidemiology, Strategic Information, and Health Systems Strengthening, the incumbent provides technical expertise to improve the quality of HIV/AIDS services that U.S. CDC Nigeria is providing in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH).
- S/he supports CDC Nigeria in the assurance of data and service quality through review and assessment (e.g. data quality audits; DQA) and the promotion and coordination of continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
Note: All applicants MUST address each required qualification listed below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified:
- Master's Degree in any of the following: Medicine, Public Health, Epidemiology, Computer Science, Behavioral Sciences, Applied Mathematics or related field is required.
- Minimum of five (5) years' experience working as an M&E or quality assurance officer in a health/medical research organization, university or public health program implementing agency, based in a developing country is required.
- Level IV (fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing in English is required. Language Proficiency will be tested.
- Knowledge of program evaluation, strategies and techniques as well as infectious disease prevention activities. Knowledge of the application of program management and the translation of evaluation data as it pertains to the improvement of program operations, guidelines/policies and familiarity with the health care system of Nigeria is required.
- Ability to lead project teams, workgroup and to develop effective working relationships with national and international working partners is required. Additionally, s/he is required to exercise considerable innovation during an attempt to influence other collaborative organizations engaged in HIV/AIDS prevention programs to adopt appropriate M&E strategies for their program activities.
- Proficiency in MS Office, (Word, Excel, Access), and statistical software packages (SAS, SPSS and STATA) is required.
Hiring Preference Selection Process
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP**
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans' preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility.
- If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans' preference will not be considered in the
- application process.
- Mission HR's decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply.
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PAS) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
- The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the local security certification after selection.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.