The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Nigeria has embarked on a new Japanese-Funded Project on Early Recovery and Social Cohesion in the North Eastern part of the country. The Project will contribute to the realization of the UNDAF Outcome 4.2 which states that ‘by 2017 the occurrence and effects of conflicts and violence are reduced through institutionalized and coordinated prevention and management by the establishment of a peace architecture supporting negotiated solutions at federal, state and community level in partnership with civil society, informed by gender sensitive conflict analysis and other evidence based EW/EA methodologies and tolerant, peace loving and resilient communities’.
The specific Outputs of the Project are to ensure that: Disrupted livelihoods, loss of income and productive capacity of at least 1,500 persons are restored and stabilized; Damaged community infrastructures rehabilitated and short-term employment opportunities created in Borno State; Capacity for dialogue, mediation and peace building established and strengthened; Citizens sensitized to embrace core cultural and moral values and promote spirit of peaceful coexistence; Capacity of security personnel agencies in civilian protection and peacekeeping enhanced.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Team Leader, Sustainable Development, the Project Analyst is responsible for management of UNDP programme within the thematic/sectorial areas relating to Livelihoods and Social Cohesion. The Project Analyst analyzes political, social and economic trends, provides technical backstopping and quality assurances to programme activities, support formulation, management and evaluation of programme activities within his/her portfolio and facilitates knowledge management activities.
The Project Analyst works in close collaboration with the operations team, programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs Staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society organizations in ensuring successful UNDP Programme implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Implementation of programme strategies.
- Management of the CO Project on Livelihoods and Social Cohesion.
- Creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the Project scaling-up strategy.
- Provision of top quality policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management.
- Effective gender mainstreaming in early recovery and social cohesion.
1.) Ensure Implementation of programmes focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs to inform programme activities within his/her portfolio;
- Provide inputs to the development of proposals, concepts, strategies, and ideas in the respective areas and building on UNDP’s comparative advantages and experiences, particularly in relation to integrating social cohesion into livelihoods programming;
- Actively engage in the implementation of programme strategies within his/her portfolio.
2.) Ensures effective management of the CO programme within the Project activities, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Contribute to the results-based monitoring of the programme, including effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets (BSC), and monitoring of the achievement of results;
- Support planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of programmes and programmatic interventions in the subject area, tracking the use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Design and formulation of CO programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP’s priorities into local interventions. Coordination of programme implementation with executing agencies;
- Introduction of performance indicators/ success criteria, cost recovery, targets and milestones;
- Initiation of a project, presentation of the project to PAC, entering project into Atlas, finalization of contribution agreements; determination of the required revisions, coordination of the mandatory budget re-phasing exercises, closure of project through review;
- Performance of functions of Manager Level 1 in Atlas for POs and vouchers approval, participates in recruitment processes for projects;
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the Projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions;
- Participation in relevant audit exercises. Follow up on audit recommendations;
- Ensure that aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes;
- Contribute to the timely and high-quality preparation and submission of reports, including donor reports.
3.) Creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the Project scaling-up strategy, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Development of partnerships with UN Agencies, IFIs, Government institutions, bilateral and multilateral donors, private sector, civil society and research institutions in specific thematic areas based on strategic goals of the UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities;
- Liaise with stakeholders and partners;
- Formulate strategic approaches towards scaling-up the Project beyond the initial phase;
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs, on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office efforts in resource mobilization.
4.) Ensures the provision of top quality technical/ programmatic support and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Scanning the policy and political environments and advising on their implications for Livelihoods and Social Cohesion Project;
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues, identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country policy goals;
- Support to development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme issues.
5.) Ensures effective gender mainstreaming in the work of UNDP in the area of livelihoods and social cohesion, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Initiates and implement Project strategy aimed at enhancing the participation of women in livelihoods and social cohesion activities;
- Provides technical and policy support, guidance, practical tools and hands-on training to the implementing agencies towards enhancing gender mainstreaming in project design and implementation;
- Advocating for policies that will reduce feminized marginalization in livelihood support, end violence against women, and increase women engagement in addressing the challenges of social fragmentation, as well as achieving gender-sensitive interventions.