- IHVN implements the INSPIRE (Integrating and Scaling up PMTCT through Implementation Research) MoMent study, which is a four-year Canadian Government-funded, WHO-supported research project that is evaluating the impact of Mentor Mother programs on Prevention of Mother-To-Child Transmission of HIV (PMTCT) service uptake and retention at primary healthcare facilities in Nigeria.
- The study is being conducted at Primary Healthcare Centers (PHCs) in two states (FCT and Nasarawa), and is in its third of the four year project period.
- We are looking for individuals with leadership skills, research experience and interest in maternal & neonatal health, HIV/AIDs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Project Coordinator (PC) INSPIRE-MoMent Study will provide overall day-to-day technical and administrative supervision of study activities.
- He/ She will work closely with the Principal Investigator (PI) to implement the study according to the study protocol.
- The PC is expected to spend approximately 75% of time in the central office and 25% in the field.
- The PC will also work closely with the Data Manager and the study statistician; he/she is expected to be up-to-date on every study data collecting tool and all data the study generates for the purpose of data analysis and manuscript writing. Residence within the FCT is required.
- The PC reports directly to the PI on all study-related issues.
The duties of the Project Coordinator INSPIRE-MoMent Study include, but are not limited to the following:
- With PI, plan and coordinate day-to-day and long-term study activities
- Oversee grant resource management (funding, commodities)
- Represent the PI and/or team in meetings with stakeholders, e.g. Federal or State Ministries of Health or WHO
- Prepare financial and progress reports for PI and study sponsors
- Document and monitor key study activities with respect to study timelines
- Promptly identify study-related gaps and proffer creative, logical solutions
- Initiate, guide and direct the development and review of study Standard Operating Procedures
- Forecast and request for finances, commodities or services for study implementation
- Designate tasks to, supervise and mentor research team members including 2 Research Associates and 15 field staff
- Ensure all field staff are up-to-date on ethics training and are implementing study according to ethics regulations.
- Quarterly Technical Assistance visits with Research Associates to study sites
- Coordinate and participate in field work e.g. Mentor Mother audit interviews, data quality assessments.
- Coordinate and actively participate in academic research activity including but not limited to abstract writing, interpretation of data and manuscript development
- Other assignments as requested by the Principal Investigator.
- Medical doctor with at least 4 years PMTCT/HIV programme implementation experience and at least 2 years hands-on research experience
- A Master's degree in health or research-related discipline.
- Should have completed the one year compulsory government service (NYSC) or possess certification for exemption
- Excellent oral and written communication as well as scientific writing skills in English, with proficiency in MS Office suite, especially Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong professional, interpersonal and public relations skills
- Demonstrable leadership, team participation and team-building skills and experience
- Ability to take instruction and cooperate with authority of the Principal Investigator
- Ability to complete ad-hoc tasks with short notice
- Maturity and patience in communicating with people with a wide range of personalities and capacities is necessary.