We are seeking a project coordinator for an upcoming 5 year BMGF -funded project
in 5 countries in Africa (Nigeria, Tanzania, DRC, Ghana and Kenya) that aims to increase
the availability of appropriate and affordable technologies to sustainably improve short and
long-term agricultural productivity in cassava in the target countries. The project is composed
of six Work Streams [(i) Strategic cassava agronomy research, (ii) Geo-spatial information,
(iii) Cassava agronomy decision support tools, (iv) Facilitating use of these tools,
(v) Capacity development, and (vi) Project management] ) and will operate primarily
by improving the capacity of both the public and private sector actors in their respective
roles in development and dissemination of cassava agronomy technologies. The Project
will be closely integrated with other IITA and BMGF initiatives and development partner
projects in the region. The position is contingent upon IITA being awarded the project.
The Project Coordinator will:
• Provide overall program management support, help to develop a strong, coherent technical
vision and initiate innovative strategies across the project.
• Establish and operate a project management system and supervise program operations,
personnel, M&E, and/or preparation of periodic written reports to BMGF.
• Design and manage interventions that aim to build capacity of various institutions,
private businesses, public organizations, and researchers across the six project components.
• Identify and manage technological innovations within the cassava agronomy sector, and
disseminate findings through, among other venues, stakeholder meetings (advocacy), print,
radio and cell phone based systems.
• Design and manage increasingly localized research programs on cassava agronomy
• Facilitate internal and external communication
• Monitor and evaluate progress towards project milestones.
• Contribute in ensuring effective overall contract management, reporting, communications
and relationship management with donor, partners and stakeholders.
• Coordinate organization of planning meetings and training workshops.
• (Co) author scientific publications in top quality agronomy journals.
• Country contact for Nigeria and Ghana (with a colleague playing this role for Ghana, Uganda,
and East DR Congo).
The candidate should possess the intellectual leadership and strong management skills necessary to develop, articulate and carry out a vision for the project.
• S/he must have a minimum of PhD degree in agriculture related fields, with 10 years of progressively responsible experience managing complex agricultural
development programs and expertise to successfully achieve meaningful and sustainable results in the areas of agriculture technology transfer.
• Minimum of 10 years’ experience as project coordinator on projects of similar complexity, with experience in managing teams of professionals, and with the administrative, procurement, hiring, recruitment, financial and logistical aspects of project implementation.
• The project coordinator will also have strong expertise in agronomy R4D in sub-Saharan Africa
• Technology transfer or agricultural work experience in target countries or SSA is required.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and fluent English language capability (with French being an added advantage).
• Strong knowledge and experience of African farming systems.
• Demonstrated ability to lead the writing and publication of technical documents in relation to the project goals.
• Strong skills in team building and creating synergies between project partners and activities.
• Proven success in work relations with a wide range of partners, including research institutes, governments, private sector, and other development actors.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive fringe benefits and excellent working conditions
in a pleasant campus environment.
Duty Station: Abuja or Ibadan, Nigeria
General Information: Initial appointment is for three years (renewable) starting as soon as possible. IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Method of Application:
Interested applicants should forward their applications with detailed curriculum vitae saved with
their names in Microsoft word format. The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include either the Head of applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior officer at work and evidence of current remuneration package to IITA website.