Cummins Inc. is a $18 billion, Fortune 200 company and the world’s largest independent producer and distributor of diesel engines and related components. Our continued success globally is predicated on the capability and extent of our product range, our commitment to new technology and the quality of our people.
As the Project Manager in the NEE&F team, you’ll be in a high-impact role leading and managing many of our New Entities & Facilities project management and execution activities for Africa. (NEE&F) is a newly created department that will offer centralized services for the Africa organization in the successful execution of new start-ups including shop-fronts, branches, new distributors, joint ventures, Regional Distribution Centers, area offices, relocations etc. This dedicated team will also be responsible for managing Facility projects and will work with stakeholders across all functional areas.
As a member of the NEE&F team, the Project Manager will manage, develop, and implement project(s) of varying complexity and size across business units. You will partner with Business stakeholders to ensure a successful project completion.Specific responsibilities will include: ·
Lead multiple projects from inception to completion; facilitate project planning sessions with internal stakeholders to determine the scope and objectives of each project;· Work with business stakeholders to establish project performance goals; design project plan, develop timeline, identify project milestones, and track performance against performance goals and timeline.·
Identify track, and work with others to resolve project issues.·
Monitor and communicate project status to project team.·
Plan and monitor project budget, conduct research and analysis; provide input into the design and development of project plans and timelines.·
Manage project risk; use quality tools to identify areas of risk; work with others on the team and outside the team to identify alternatives or solutions.Document and share team learning with other teams; draw on other project team experiences to enhance the success of the project.Maintain project notes, databases, and other records; monitor measures and communicate with Project Sponsor and other stakeholders on status of specific projects and assignments.Identify and assign appropriate resources to accomplish various project tasks; guide and coach team members through various stages of the project; provide developmental feedback to team members; coach other Project Managers in managing teams
SKILLS – PROJECT MANAGEMENT
– Maintain a cross-functional, cross-organizational project issues list, with appropriate prioritization based on the issue's level of importance. Drives appropriate and timely resolution and approval of changes to the project plan.Scope Management
– Solicit and organize customer requirements (Voice of the Customer), and track the status of project deliverables. Proficiently use a Value Package Profile (VPP) or other appropriate scope-defining document, and proactively manage change. Manage the connections between multiple levels of scope detail in related additional documents (e.g. Tech Profiles or equivalent documents).Schedule Management
- Develop and maintain a cross-functional schedule. Proficient at one or more schedule management tools. Knows the right level of detail needed to use the tool effectively.Resource Plan Management
- Develop and manage a cross-functional resource plan for a project. Knows the right level of detail needed to complete the processes and use the tools effectively.Stakeholder Management And Communication
- Identify, engage and manage stakeholders on a project or groups of projects. Overcome obstacles and resistance among stakeholders. Effectively stratifies stakeholder needs and creates and executes communications plans to fit the unique needs of each type of stakeholder.Business Planning/Strategy
- Familiar with tools for financial analysis and its relevance. Knows when, where, and how to get assistance.Cross-Functional Knowledge - Understands the more detailed hand-offs between functional areas on a project, and knows the detailed work of at least one functional area.Project Risk Management - Lead teams in the development of a project FMEA and/or 9-box project risk summary, and identifies and manages the actions to mitigate the risk.Prepare and deliver presentations for senior management that may include feasibility analysis, business case studies, and project estimates
Produce ad-hoc information, data extracts or reports as neededSKILLS -
FUNCTIONAL/TECHNICAL:Business knowledge: Understanding of the key deliverables and processes for each functional area that may be involved in the project team: Strategy, HR, Finance
- Tax & Treasury, Legal, Risk Insurance, Corporate Responsibility, Shared Services, Supply Chain, Health Safety & Environment, Security, IT, Purchasing, Facilities, Communications, General Managers etc.
Communication: Ability to communicate effectively (verbal, written, presentation) to all levels of the organization.
Customer orientation: Ability to develop strong relationships with key customers in the business and approach every challenge with a customer-centric view.
Financial management: Ability to identify, estimate, track and control costs incurred within the project. Ability to analyze cost/benefits for project activities
Effective Project Management and multi-tasking skillsProficient in MS Office Suite of products(Project, Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
Experience working on projects across multiple African countries strongly preferredExpertise in project management methodologies such as PMBOK, Prince2 a plus Sound knowledge of the JBCC, NEC, GCC, NBSU and other relevant building contractsMulti lingual capabilities in French and Portuguese a plusExperience in construction projects/built environment a plusExperience in setting up new branches or offices a plusPMP certification a plusSKILLS - QUALITY/IMPROVEMENT:Quality Assurance: Familiarity with quality assurance methods.Measurement: Ability to identify key performance indicators, measurement systems to track KPI's and reporting mechanisms.Attention to detail: Constant focus on every aspect of your work.Six Sigma: Green Belt minimum certified or willing to become certified Planning and Organization:
Develop project plans and guide your project team.
Create action plans that are timely and realistic. Know how and when to delegate to make effective use of your time
SKILLS – TEAMWORK
Team building and motivation: Ability to select team members, form a team, set project and team structure, lead team-building exercises, clarify operating principles and ground rules, assess team effectiveness, recognize performance, identify personality preferences and work styles, coach, manage diversity and leverage learning.Conflict resolution: Ability to identify and address conflicts and competing agendas of project teams and multiple stakeholder groups (including customers) and to facilitate resolution of differences in a productive manner. Ability to ask probing questions, detect unstated assumptions and resolve interpersonal conflicts.Communication: Ability to foster open communication across the project team and build productive collaborative relationships with all stakeholders SKILLS - LEADERSHIP:Integrity: Act with the highest level of honesty, openness and commitment in all aspects of your work.Influence: Influence and gain the support of project team, key customers, key suppliers and management to develop and follow the project schedule and budget.Change Management: Ability to manage project change, continually balancing the project plan triangle of scope, schedule and resources, and following up on the counter measures and actions items to implement.Judgment and Decision Making: Deal with problems that require involvement from others to solve. Reach a sound decision quickly, yet have weighed the alternatives and risks before taking action. Negotiating skills would help you be effective in this role.Team Facilitation: Maintain effective partnerships across the business, be able to influence at all levels of the organization, recognize others for their abilities / knowledge and balance team versus individual goals. Openly receive the views of others and be open to giving as well as receiving feedback. Motivate your project resources to stretch beyond their current abilities and challenge them to develop new skills.Problem solving: Apply sound analytical skills in dealing with issues that are not readily defined and / or that conflict with available information. Break a problem down into manageable pieces and implementing effective & timely solutions. Separating the root cause from the symptoms of a problem will be the key.Provide coaching and mentorship to junior project managers and team members.
Bachelor’s degree with a strong academic record
A minimum 5 years of progressively challenging project management experience across a broad range of functions