SON requires Project Officers within the operation division of the Niger Delta Legacy Engagement funded by the State Department Conflict Stabilisation Operation. The Engagement which is awarded to SON is currently to cover funding period till 31st December 2014, with operational extension possible to 31st March 2015.
The Position reports to the Assistant Programme Manager (Operations) directly, will deliver Quality Assurance within the team headed overall by Programme Manager with overall responsibility for performance. Position will contribute towards the engagement goal that the people of the Niger Delta emerges from the 2015 election period without destabilizing violence and with increased confidence in the power of non-violent problem solving among the citizens, government and other key actors
Overall Engagement Objective- includes
- Reduce the likelihood of Conflict
- Improve the Social Contact in 3 States of the Niger Delta (Rivers, Bayelsa, Delta)
- Produce a Multimedia Campaign supported by dialogue and civic advocacy
- Develop capacity and effective non- violence with outreach to communities and Government.
- Develop and Sustain the Board of Advisors into an operating Board of Directors in a independent Company
To provide support and ensure that the programme team meets the highest standards in compliance with US CSO corporate policy and procedures, thereby contributing to strategic objectives. As part of the team, the Programme Officer will assist in the management of the team’s portfolio which will largely involve, but is not limited to, project cycle management including financial management and reporting.
- Project Support: In conjunction with relevant colleagues, assist with all aspects of the end to end programme cycle management including, where appropriate representation at meetings and provision of briefings, programme visits and logistic arrangements.
- Programme Cycle Management: Assist in project/programme identification and design and with the actual launch and implementation; assist with the planning of an active participation with on annual reviews of projects; Assist he Technical Advisers to prepare narrative reports on assigned projects for the purpose of the Monthly Programme Review meetings, and lastly ensure effective sharing of information within team.
- Procedural and Financial Management: Ensure compliance at all levels with CSO procedures such as issuing contracts, making payments and information registry
- Corporate Responsibilities: Assist with other corporate responsibilities such as logistics for the preparation of any. Retreats, seminars, and high level visits from Headquarters and with preparation of returns (including briefings) to Headquarters/BOA and others as necessary.
Desired Behavioural Competencies
- Making Effective Decisions
- Changing and Improving
- Delivering Value For money
- Delivering at pace
- Collaborating and Partnering
- Leading and Communicating
- A University first degree for these positions is required and would preferably be in the Social Sciences.
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate suitable years of work experience and proven ability in programme management, financial management and procurement.
- Strong understanding of risk management and internal control issues.
- Good communication and report writing skills.
- Must exhibit high levels of professionalism, integrity and ethical values at all times.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and will be invited to join the next stage of the assessment process
Salary: Attractive and commensurate with experience.