The Northern Nigeria Education Initiative Plus (NEI+) project works to improve the quality of and access to education in Northern Nigeria equitably and sustainably. Reading Expert/Teacher Education Officer will be responsible for providing technical leadership for all teacher education activities, including leading and coordinating the teacher education and systems support activities at the national and state level. The position requires experience with teacher training policy and practice, designing programs for data collection and analysis, and personnel management. This position is based in Sokoto, Nigeria, and will report to the Sokoto Reading Officer.
- Lead integrated state and Local Government Education Authority (LGEA), State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), and School-Based Management Committee (SBMC) working groups and steering committees in the following tasks:
1. Identification of education priorities
2. Assessment of education standards
3. Review and strengthen instructional quality and teacher performance assessments
4. Strengthen instructional quality standards
- Ensure technical coordination of state-level activities and obtain support from directorates and local government authorities as needed
- Work closely with the Reading Officer to manage support staff and consultants as needed to ensure the smooth implementation of project activities across technical areas
- Ensure the timely production, coordination, and reporting of all data, including quarterly reports, M&E data, financial information, etc.
- Support the development of reading curriculum and standards in colleges of education in collaboration with NCCE and state based colleges of education
- Participate in regular meetings and maintain regular communication with state level team counterparts, and with the Reading Officer to ensure coherent planning, M&E practices, and project troubleshooting
- Represent the project in major state meetings and events as appropriate
Skills and Experience
Candidates must demonstrate at least eight years of experience in the education sector, with at least five years of a leadership role in a conflict or crisis-affected country context. In addition, candidates must demonstrate at least five years of relevant technical experience working with activities that are of a similar scope to this activity. Monitoring and evaluation is a key component and candidates must demonstrate at least five years’ technical experience in developing and implementing monitoring and evaluation plans and results-based management.
The candidate must be professionally proficient and fluent in written and spoken English.
The candidate must have a Master’s Degree in the social sciences or related field.