Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsibility for developing bilateral science and innovation collaboration between the UK and Nigeria, with a regional watching brief over West Africa.
- Promoting collaboration and inform UK policy development in science and innovation.
In practical terms this will include:
- Leading on UK Government science and innovation strategy, briefing and reporting for Nigeria.
- Managing the UK relationship with key Nigerian research, innovation and funding bodies;
- Providing support to senior UK Government staff and the UK research base regarding the Nigerian/West African science and innovation environment; supporting VIP visits;
- Acting as the first point of contact for UK Government lobbying on research, scientific and technology policy issues, and working closely with BHC Abuja staff to deliver messages to the Nigerian government;
- Working closely with prosperity staff in other HMG offices in West Africa, to explore and develop international research collaboration opportunities for UK scientists within the region;
- Developing high quality and sustainable UK/Nigeria science and innovation partnerships that focus on UK and Nigerian priorities; Identifying opportunities and developing and managing bilateral projects (these might be regional in nature) in order to increase collaboration opportunities for the UK science base;
- Working with UK partners - FCO, UK Trade and Industry (UKTI), DFID, British Council and others to deliver wider UK prosperity objectives, including higher education linkages. Working with UKTI to identify and match opportunities to UK firms.
- Developing and maintaining a network of senior level contacts across the UK and Nigeria re-search landscape; in time building up a network across the West Africa region.
- A first Degree in a Scientific/Technological discipline.
- Excellent written and spoken English;
- Good presentation, interpersonal and representational skills;
- The ability to initiate and maintain a wide range of working relationships;
- Strong organisational skills and project management experience;
- The ability to work quickly and reliably with attention to detail and with limited supervision.