The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture seeks suitable Nigerian Nationals for the position Research Associate at the Institute’s Headquarters, Ibadan.
Position / Responsibilities
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Assist in scientific and technical backstopping for hardening and transplanting invitro plantlets to aeroponics system for seed yam propagation of grantees
- Provide technical support to grantees for strict sanitation measures in orders to avoid fungal and bacterial contamination as well as pest and diseases for plantlets (set up standard operating procedures)
- Support private seed producers with research activities to overcome limitations constraints for optimization of seed yam production in aeroponic system
- Provide expertise in quality assurance ( PH, Electro conductivity etc.) of nutrient solution for yam propagation in aeroponics system
- Assist the aeroponics grantees (private and public) in planning, implementing and monitoring of contractural activities and timely reporting
- Ensure that planned activities/ tasks are undertaken on schedule and assist assigned staff on site to accomplish their duties timely.
- Supervise technicians and other support staff including youth copper IT student etc.
- Assist in conducting training for seed yam production on eroponics using pr-rooted and non-rooted vine cuttings.
- Perform any other related duties as may assigned
Qualification, Experience and Skills
- MSC in Tissue Culture, Plant Physiology or any related discipline
- Minimum of 3 year relevant working experience on a similar role
- Good skills in MS Office and general knowledge of computer
The ideal candidate must:
- Be able to follow instructions and work independently where necessary.
- Possess good organizational skills and demonstrate ability to work under pressure.
- Be available to work outside office hours and for extended hours where necessary
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive fringe benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.