Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Assist in multiplication of virus-free cassava planting material using several different rapid multiplication methods;
- Assist in testing of treatments to improve multiplication rate and reduce cost of rapid multiplication systems in the laboratory and field;
- Assist in planting, maintenance, data collection, harvesting and post-harvest handling of roots and stems from variety trials on-station and on-farm;
- Assist with stem sales of pre-basic seed include keeping records of sales and facilitating payment and deposit of revenue from stem sales;
- Participate in training of technicians and partners on methods of cassava stem multiplication;
- Assist in supervising subordinate staff on field, laboratory and screenhouse activities;
- Assist in providing technical backstopping to cassava seed multipliers,
- Assist in collection and analyses of field and lab data including preparation of quality technical reports;
- Perform any other duty as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- HND/B.Sc Degree in Plant Breeding, Crop Production, Agricultural Extension, Plant Science, Biochemistry, or related disciplines with 2 years’ experience performing similar role.
The ideal candidate must have:
- Very good knowledge of plant breeding and seed production of vegetative propagated crops
- Demonstrable supervisory experience (lab/field).
- At least three years of experience in a similar position with experience in propagation of clonally propagated crops (such as cassava), conducting field trials, working in the laboratory and screenhouse settings, managing experiments including data collection and analysis.
- Passion and commitment for academic excellence.
- Computer literacy, data organization and analysis skills
- Good capability and readiness to travel independently within Nigeria, and work in the fields.
- Good coping skills with heavy workloads extending beyond office hours and during weekends
- Ability to learn new skills, quickly adapt and apply new methods.
- Ability to interpret data and prepare good technical reports.
- Very good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work harmoniously in an interdisciplinary team with an international and intercultural background.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.