As an ‘independent’ organization within Unilever, TIGI has multiple sites, teams and services ranging from DC operations to the delivery of the Hairdressing Courses all requiring a differing and tailored safety and environment strategy.
This role is to support and inspire the UK based Global and Regional Leadership teams in exercising their S&E responsibilities across this diverse operation.
The post holder will report directly to the European Supply Chain Manager, and in conjunction with the Unilever Occupational Health Manager with TIGI responsibility, provide the necessary knowledge and experience to ensure that all TIGI groups remain compliant with UK Health, Safety and Environmental legislation, Unilever S&E Standards and achieve a sustainable underlying improvement trend with respect to S&E performance.
The post holder will also lead for excellence in Safety and Environment management for TIGI at a European level, working with the Germany based Safety and Environment manager.
• Support the Leadership Team/Site Managers in meeting their Safety and Environmental responsibilities and ensuring legal compliance across sites and field based employee groups, working with the Occupational Health manager and local management teams
o UK DC (Milton Keynes)
o Academies (Manchester, Battersea)
o Photo Studio & Offices (Battersea)
o Field Based Educators & Account Managers (national)
o Regional & National Courses and Events held in various locations
• Agree, manage and evaluate S&E operations to ensure service delivery that complies with national policy and meets local needs, across the various teams and locations
• Advise and support Site Works Director and senior management team in all matters relating to employee safety
• Provide leadership & support to the safety & environmental champions within the business.
• As a member of the supply chain management team, contribute to the business strategy and direction of the various sites.
• Engage key decision makers and site leadership teams in OH and S&E initiatives, developing a range of strategies to inspire and engage with different audiences with differing challenges.
• Influence for the development of a business culture that enhances OH and Safety and Environment and productivity.
• Establish agreed performance measures for Safety and Environment within the sites
• In collaboration with S&E and site management team, support each Site/Team Manager in achieving OHSE compliance
• Work in partnership with key stakeholders to ensure the alignment of national OHS&E strategy with business unit culture, needs and services via e.g. joint work plans
• Maintain internal and external focus to ensure continuous improvement, development and innovation.
• Plan the provision of Safety and Environmental function to meet present and future needs.
• Lead in the implementation of Safety and Environmental policy, streamlined processes and programmes across sites according to local needs as identified through needs analysis and site profiling
• Influence key customer groups to develop and adopt safe and healthy work practices and programmes
• Act as the conduit for knowledge and information between the national governance team and stakeholders.
• Establish and maintain a high profile for, and the credibility of, Safety and Environment.
• Lead delivery of Safety and Environment Operations across sites
• Identify, implement and maintain operational best practice and efficiencies through the management of service delivery within a common UK framework
• Agree annual work plan with European Supply Chain Manager, within a national OHSE framework
• Manage S & E budget across sites
• Translate and deliver Unilever/Regional /National requirements and S & E vision and strategy into site based activities.
• Develop and maintain the OH & SHE Management system, such that it remains compliant with the Unilever SHE Standards (and if/when appropriate OHSAS 18001 and ISO 14001)
• Report performance to management, national governance team and key customer groups
• Participate in OHSE audit and governance activities, sharing data, knowledge and best practice across the UK
• Facilitate implementation of major Safety and Environmental programmes across sites.
• Develop and deploy the following key OH & SHE processes:
- Risk Assessment
- Annual Planning including Objectives and Targets
- Operational Control
- Emergency Preparedness
- SHE Reporting Systems to National and Regional Levels
- SHE Incident / OH Case Investigation
- Internal OH & SHE Audit
- Statutory Inspections
- Management Review
• Develop an improving OH & SHE culture within the organisation
• Drive, co-ordinate and contribute to the development, standardisation and review of policies, procedures, programmes, performance indicators and other ways of working based on identified best practice, whilst ensuring customer satisfaction, consistency, efficiencies and other quality improvements
• Establish regular audit and supervision activities
• Integrate software packages and other tools to enhance service delivery
• Act as the Functional Lead / Subject Matter Expert on agreed specialist subjects and lead or participate in national project teams
• Work closely with OH Operations Manager, other S&E Managers and members of the national OHSE governance team to maintain high levels of performance
• With other S & E practitioners, and National SHE Coordinator ensure point of contact always available for business stakeholder queries
• Liaise with all interested parties including regulatory authorities on OH & SHE topics.
• NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent
• Minimum IEMA Certificate or equivalent
• Experience working in a SHE discipline (at management level)
• Effective communicator and influencer both upwards and downwards
• Computer literate - Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Outlook
• Demonstration of continual professional development over a period of time