Please exercise due diligence when applying for this job vacancy.
Counsellors help people to explore feelings and emotions that are often related to their experiences. This allows clients to reflect on what is happening to them and consider alternative ways of doing things.
Counsellors work in a confidential setting and listen attentively to their clients. They offer them the time, empathy and respect they need to express their feelings and perhaps understand themselves from a different perspective.
The aim is reduce a clients confusion and enable them to cope with challenges, or to make positive changes in their life where necessary.
Counsellors do not give advice, but help clients to make their own choices within the framework of an agreed counselling contract.
There is no clear distinction between the terms counselling and psychotherapy, and both can encompass a range of talking therapies.
- establishing a relationship of trust and respect with clients;
- agreeing a counselling contract to determine what will be covered in sessions (including confidentiality issues);
- encouraging clients to talk about issues they feel they cannot normally share with others;
- actively listening to client concerns and empathising with their position;
- accepting without bias the issues raised by clients;
- helping clients towards a deeper understanding of their concerns;
- challenging any inconsistencies in what clients say or do;
- helping clients to make decisions and choices regarding possible ways forward;
- referring clients to other sources of help, as appropriate;
- attending supervision and training courses;
- undertaking personal therapy (mandatory for accreditation);
- liaising, as necessary, with other agencies and individuals to help make changes based on the issues raised by clients;
- working to agreed targets in relation to client contact;
- undertaking group as well as individual therapy on occasions;
- keeping records and using reporting tools.
Interested candidates must have a minimum of Ond in Guidance and counselling, must have minimum of a year working experience.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Note: LAGOS RESIDENTS ONLY