Basic Function of the Position
- Under the supervision of the Senior Science Advisor, the incumbent serves as a focal point to support the coordination and clearance of all CDC supported research projects, manuscripts and abstracts.
- S/he will actively supports and facilitates the development, review and clearance process for all research projects, public health evaluations, surveys, and special study protocols as well as the ethical review and Institutional Review Board (IRB) process for all research activities funded by HHS/CDC and carried out by implementing partners in Nigeria.
- The program advises CDC technical staff and staff of collaborating partners on clearance requirements and the clearance process for any proposed activities funded by HHS/CDC which require clearance.
- Additionally, s/he maintains and updates all files and documentation associated with the clearance process and research agenda in CDC Nigeria.
Note: All applicants Must address each required qualification listed below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified:
- Master's degree in any of the following: Medicine, Public Health, Epidemiology, Applied Science, Behavioral Sciences or related field is required.
- Minimum of five (5) years responsible experience working as a researcher/research officer with research institute(s) or health institutional review board(s) is required.
- Level IV (fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing in English is required. Language Proficiency will be tested.
- Thorough knowledge of human subjects research protection requirements to provide detailed guidance to investigators on regulatory and procedural issues.
- Good working knowledge of the research process as well as documentation and procedures required for the ethical review, clearance of projects and funding restriction mechanisms for these activities is required.
- Knowledge of the structure of the public and private health sector of Nigeria, priorities, strategies and players is required. Knowledge of Nigeria health research policies and National Code of Health Research Ethics as well as local Institutional Review Board processes is required.
- Proficiency in MS Office, statistical software packages and Institutional Review Board Protocol Management System is required
Hiring Preference Selection Process
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
- Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
- Currently employed U.S. Citizen EFMs who hold a Family Member Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
- Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.