The Eastern Africa Regional Resource Center (EARC) of the African Development Bank (ADB) has been established to strengthen policy dialogue between the Bank, Governments and other stakeholders; improve performance of the project portfolio and aid coordination with other development partners.
The Bank invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill in the vacant position of Secretary to the Regional Director. This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya and does not attract international terms and conditions.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Regional Director of EARC, the incumbent will provide a wide range of assistance to the Regional Centre Office team for the implementation of its work program, including workflow management, office administration, resources management and analytical work. Other specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Devise and maintain efficient office management systems; ensure that the Regional Director is well prepared for meetings, events and related programs;
- Time management and scheduling on behalf of the Regional Director to include effective prioritization and resolution of related office business and competing demands;
- Manage Regional Director’s calendar and schedule of meetings;
- Organize logistics, facilities and schedules for regular Staff and Donor-Economic Group Meetings, take minutes of the proceedings and ensure follow-up on agreed actions;
- Manage the flow of information, by receiving, sorting, and monitoring taking into account priority and urgency of documents and organizing logical filing system;
- Independently respond to diverse inquiries and make decisions utilizing applicable multiple courses of action as possible; and establish an agenda of electronic mail address book, and draft documents in conformity with administrative instructions;
- Coordinate and monitor multiple and diverse work processes and activities to ensure that management decisions are properly carried out and products are delivered in a timely manner;
- Ensure quality of documents requiring the Regional Director’s approval and/or signature;
- Keep the Regional Centre Office Administration Team informed by providing relevant information, reports or status updates; make necessary arrangements (hotels reservations, transportation arrangements, appointments, visas, and airline tickets) for visiting delegations;
- Draft/finalize correspondence on a range of topics on behalf of the Regional Director and prepare minutes of meetings;
- Be accountable for the smooth operation of the office work, support work and related systems within the Regional Office by organizing and coordinating related workflow ;
- Monitor media and provide daily briefs for the Regional Director’s information; and be able to interpret institutional administrative policies internally;
- Performs any other additional duties as may be directed by Regional Director.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Commerce, Public Relations, or other related discipline, preferably supplemented with courses in Secretarial studies/ Office Management;
- A minimum of four (4) years of progressively relevant and practical experience in secretarial/ office administration work preferably gained with an international organization;
- Strong client service/relations skills, good organizational and planning skills, ability to multi-task, attention to detail and ability to work with diverse backgrounds in a matrix environment;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English. Working knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
- Excellent sense of initiative, enthusiasm, team spirit, and ability to demonstrate tact and diplomacy. Good organizational and interpersonal skills;
- High sense of confidentiality and ability to develop strong understanding of AfDB work and institutional policies/objectives;
- Thorough knowledge and use of all relevant standard MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project). Knowledge of SAP would be an advantage.
- Good interpersonal and verbal communication skills;
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team-and-matrix-oriented as well as in multi-cultural environments and to function effectively as a member of various groups.
NB : This Position does not attract international Terms and Conditions of Employment. (Incumbents of the Position will be considered as Local Staff and will not have International Status).