To have a full oversight of safety and security within and around the working environment.
Supervise and co-ordinate the activities of personnel assigned to maintain security and safety of people and property.
- Supervising the activities of subordinates
- Conducting briefings at the start of shifts, giving security officers updates on safety/security matters.
- Scheduling security officers to cover designated facilities and shifts
- Conducting spot/mystery checks on various locations to ensure security officers are performing their duties and also look out for potential safety/fire hazards and unusual or suspicious activities/persons.
- Conducting routine inspections of all security equipment and making recommendations.
- Conducting periodic risk assessments on safety and security and making recommendations for reviews/improvements of existing procedures.
- Dealing appropriately with records and incidences reported by security officers and staff in general and escalating it to CSO where appropriate.
- Ensuring full compliance with statutory security codes such as the ISO and ISPC codes.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge skill and/or ability required:
- Proven leadership skills with demonstrated ability to co-ordinate and delegate responsibilities.
- Ability to work effectively and constructively within a team
- Ability to assess a situation quickly, using appropriate actions to diffuse a situation and provide effective solutions, particularly with people demonstrating disruptive behaviors.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles
- Knowledge of security and fire inspection procedures and practices.
- Skills in observing situations and decision making.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work effectively with a diverse range of stakeholders including people of different cultures.
- Ability to maintain a sense of calm and control in difficult situations, minimizing panic in others.
- Ability to use initiative and be adaptable.
- Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups and/or board of directors.
- A degree in Social Science and other higher degrees is an added advantage
- Certificate trainings on security and safety especially in the Maritime industry is key
- Experience in a management/supervisory role
- Must have strong integrity and ethical values
- Must have extensive knowledge of security situations in the industry and country as a whole.
- Must have strong negotiation skills
- Must be proactive and forward thinking.
- Must be good at organizing and managing priorities
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment
- Must be motivated and committed
- Must be reliable and trustworthy
- Ability to understand and solve complex problems