The Seed Scientist will undertake the following activities:
- Establish and manage the multiplication and dissemination of improved maize, cultivars in collaboration with partners in the national systems and the private sector.
- Develop and implement concrete plans in production and maintenance of breeder and foundation seeds of parental lines of IITA maize hybrids to support certified seed production and commercialization by relevant public institutions and private seed sector.
- Assist in hybrid seed production research and establishment of distinct uniform and stable (DUS) and value for cultivation and use (VCU) for IITA products in partnership with the public institutions and the private sector to enhance release and production of cultivars.
- Work with partners in promotional activities to enhance adoption of IITA varieties and hybrids in the various target countries.
- Work with national and regional partners involved in harmonizing the release, production and deployment of improved cultivars in several countries.
- Involve in building capacity of public and private sectors to produce breeder, foundation, and certified seeds of improved cultivars of maize, cowpeas and soybeans and market them to farming communities.
- Engage in mobilizing resources to further expand dissemination coverage of improved maize cultivars.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.