Background and Responsibilities
• Develop seed production scheme together with the scientist responsible for pre-basic seed yam production.
• Facilitate the transfer of quality seed yam stocks from IITA to the research institutes for appropriate maintenance and production of pre-basic seed.
• Facilitate the transfer of quality pre-basic certified seed yam from research institutes to the basic seed producers.
• Record and compile the seed yam pre-basic and basic production statistics and traceability data for a formal seed system.
• Assist in recording the performance of new yam varieties near release at local, regional and national level and facilitate information exchange on variety performance and market for all actors in the seed yam industry including yam breeders, basic seed yam distributors and farmers.
• Provide technical assistance in the private seed production and marketing of high quality seed of improved varieties.
• Assist the seed system specialist to organize and conduct seed production related training courses and workshops at local, regional and national level.
• Facilitate, enhance and promote pre-basic and basic seed businesses through media campaigns, field demonstrations on station, and advocacy efforts at all levels.
• Support national seed certification inspectors and other authorities in the implementation of Quality Management protocol for pre-basic and basic seed yam.
• Develop a pre-basic and basic seed production monitoring and evaluation system in collaboration with the seed system and the M&E Specialists to track seed production activities.
• Establish and maintain close communication with scientists involved in YIIFSWA to facilitate exchange both information and materials.
• Report on achievements and progress every month to the seed system specialist
• Perform any other duties as may be assigned
This job position is also available in Abia state