Introduction to the role
A Senior Buyer is responsible for planning and selecting a range of products to sell on a retail platform. When sourcing products, Buyers must focus on two areas: sourcing new product along with ensuring improved prices are obtained on existing items to maximize profits. A full understanding of the customer’s needs is required to ensure not only is a commercially viable range provided, but it is done at competitive prices. Keeping up to date with market trends and reacting to changes in demand are also key elements of the role. Retail buyers have a considerable amount of responsibility and autonomy in what is often a pressured environment.
The position Senior Buyer – Fashion entails:
- Analysing consumer buying patterns and predicting future trends and reacting to changes in demand
- Regularly reviewing performance indicators, such as sales and discount levels
- Maintaining relationships with existing suppliers and sourcing new suppliers for future products
- Meeting suppliers and negotiating terms of contract
- Liaising with other departments within the organisation such as Finance, Inbound & Production Teams to ensure products are sourced and uploaded to the site seamlessly
- Attending trade fairs to select and assemble a new collection of products;
- participating in promotional activities;
- Presenting new ranges to senior retail managers;
- Training and mentoring junior staff.