The Senior Compliance Officer will have responsibilities for assisting the Chief Compliance Officer in driving and integrating the compliance agenda across GE in Sub-Saharan Africa and partnering with the compliance community across GE businesses and other regional Compliance Leaders. In this role, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to develop their skills such that (subject to excellent performance in this role) they would be well placed to succeed the CCO in the fullness of tim
The Senior Compliance Officer for GE Africa will report to Jeff Stitt, CCO GE Africa. This role is an integral part of the GGO Compliance team and will be responsible for developing and monitoring the GE Compliance program and agenda across the region. The leader will take the lead role in identifying and assessing the key compliance risks across the region and driving a mitigation plan to address those risks, as well as leading/managing the investigation response efforts & training across the region.
Key responsibilities will include
1.Risk Assessment: Ensure rigorous programs to identify, manage and abate the company’s key risks, including:
-Improper Payments: drive rigorous process on third party diligence and monitoring, gifts and entertainment, business commission monitoring;
-JV’s, Mergers & Acquisitions: ensure the right processes exist to support compliance priorities for negotiation, diligence and integration of acquisitions and joint ventures; and
-Collect and report on information about risk areas: e.g., early warning system, metrics & testing.
2.Investigation Response: Assume the lead role for the Spirit & Letter response program in the region, including ownership for investigations, ensuring a vibrant rhythm exists to engage leaders on integrity at all levels and establishing a world-class culture of compliance. Including leading investigations in country / region and manage the network of distributed investigators
3.Team Development: Assist CCO in developing and building Compliance team in region, including full-time, and part time resources.
4.Training: Implement a strategy that results in effective annual employee training, including for new hires, training for leaders, and training for employees whose job responsibilities require specialized training on top risks. Design and execute on a robust communication program to promote employee awareness about their obligations for integrity.
5.Follow-up: Implement a process to track, follow-up, and report on key initiatives identified by COR, GE’s PCRB, GE Africa’s CRB, and investigations
1. University graduate
2. Prior experience with Improper Payment prevention programs, establishment and operation of corporate ethics/compliance programs
3. 10+ years’ experience in related areas (compliance, legal, audit, etc) with strong performance
4. Investigation & Open Reporting experience (or equivalent)
5. Ability & willingness to travel up to 50% of time
1. Strong critical thinking skills. Ability to assess various complex issues and come to quick solutions
2. Active bar or law society membership (preferred)
2. Exceptional communicator. Concise & clear communication in individual and larger settings
3. Strong interpersonal and leadership skills. Ability to influence different stakeholders
4. Established analytical ability as well as strong project management skills
5. Embodies GE values and growth traits
6. Self-motivated and has ability to work in flexible, unstructured, entrepreneurial and team-based environment
7. Second language (esp. French or Portuguese) would be an advantage