This position is part of the team responsible for the day to day support of the database systems administration, project and engineering functions within RBCCM London.
· Provide the business with a stable, managed DBA envirionment to allow the continued growth of the buisness
· Proactive monitoring of performance and capacity of RDBMS.
· Issue, problem and change management.
· Database design/architecture/engineering contribution.
· Project resourcing in a timely manner.
· Interface with application support/development staff on production/development issues.
· Provide performance tuning expertise.
· Develop/Maintain/Enhance standard proceedures and supporting documentation for DB maintenance/scheduling/server builds/auditing/monitoring/account administration.
· Manage the release of software into the production environement.
· Maintain and report on patch levels across the environemt.
· Commission new systems.
· Provide out-of-hours cover for production systems.
· Embracement of FTS model
· Adherence to Technology Security Standards
AUTHORITIES, IMPACT, RISK
· Supports the RBC Capital Markets Database infrastructure
· NadHead of Database Systems
· Production Services Manager.
· Liaison with other RBC DBAs.
· Helpdesk, Infrastructure and Application support/development teams.
· Liaise with developers on software releases.
· Global infrastructure teams.
· RDBMS suppliers (Sybase, MSSQL)
· Mainly working at a computer.
· Dynamic environement.
· Can be stressful when dealing with outages and project deadlines.
· Attention to detail is critical.
· 24x7 shift rota – on-call for Production systems.
· Experienced Database Administrator with 10+ years of banking experience.
· High level of OLTP an OLAP/DSS database administration expertise.
· Supporting mission critical database systems.
· Delivery of mid/large scale database projects.
· High level of Security/Audit awareness and committment to it.
· Service oriented support frameworks experience (ITIL)
· Degree educated.
· Investment banking experience.
· Experience of project management methodologies such as PRINCE2.
· Excellent problem solving skills.
· Ability to manage and prioritise own and team tasks.
· Work well as part of a team and individually.
· Customer-centric (service based approach to work).
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Proven efficiency track
· Sybase ASE, IQ and RepServer
· MS SQL Server
· Scripting (ksh, perl, Java/Tomcat/PHP)
· UNIX (Solaris) / Linux
· Windows OS
· Active Directory/LDAP