The Senior Design Manager will play a critical role in providing project direction and delivery for mixed use infrastructure projects as part of the UAE infrastructure business. As the design lead for a major project or series of projects, the Senior Design Manager will manage the technical delivery of project providing direction to the project team.
As the primary representative for Atkins in matters relating to delivery, they will communicate and outline proposals to the Client in meetings, workshops and presentations for all aspects of the design. While the Senior Design Manager will be largely focused on local project work in the short term, there will be a requirement for involvement in projects at a regional level as well, together with associated travel.
• Acting as a representative of Atkins in general and more specifically in relation to relevant speciality areas of infrastructure engineering.
• Working with the project manager and others to complete work in accordance with the budget and timelines for the client.
• Attending and leading client briefings and present project stages and work to the client throughout the project.
• Undertaking any work in accordance with the scope of the proposal as agreed by the client and within the associated budget parameters.
• Working closely with the client, sub contractors and stakeholders to deliver high quality product in a timely manner.
• Attending briefings with the client to review project plans, and resolve any conflicts in design or parameters of the work.
• Ensuring accuracy of work in accordance with project scope within project parameters and client.
• Meeting with and reporting to the Project Manager and Project Director on a regular basis to track project progress against the budget.
• Implementing and using the Atkins Business Management system (BMS) on all project work.
• Delegating aspects of projects to team members and oversee their delivery in a timely and accurate manner with agreed quality standards.
• Reporting regularly on project progress and proposed projects to the Management team. • Participating in regional and firm wide committees or forums as required.
• Bachelors Degree qualified (as a minimum) in Civil Engineering (or similar) • Chartered/Certified or equivalent;
• At least 15 years experience working in a design consultancy at a supervisory or senior design level
• Strong client management skills.
• Experience of working on major projects
• Experience of multi-discipline design
• Experience of working within a contractor environment would beneficial
• Extensive experience in the management of projects from proposal development to completion, including periodic project reviews.
• Strong financial (profit and Loss, cash collection, commercial, contractual) and budget management skills.
• Strong proficiency in Design Technology and software
• Experience of interpreting and understanding local rules, regulations and design guides across the region
• Appreciation and working knowledge of sustainable design techniques and solutions
• Full understanding of British, American and International design standards
• Excellent report writing skills, experience of making presentations to and attending meetings with Clients
• Skills in Project Management and Bid Preparation
• Excellent written and spoken English. Arabic speaking is an advantage.
The job holder will display the following behaviours:
• Able to gain credibility of Clients and staff quickly through demonstrating sound judgement.
• Demonstrates a decisive, clear and consistent approach;
• Adaptive influencing skills, demonstrating tact, diplomacy, persuasion and able to challenge confidently;
• Participates in all aspects of workload delivery, regardless of task; setting an example of effective team working;
• Takes ownership of all aspects of the project and demonstrates commitment to deliver. • Adaptable; a champion for change and continuous improvement;
• Encourages high performance, innovation and ownership in others;
• Confidence to liaise with Clients and internally at all levels up to Atkins Sector and Country Managing directors