- The African Development Bank Field Office in the Democratic Republic of Congo (CDFO) covers the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). The CDFO has been established to strengthen dialogue between the Bank and the DRC, development partners, the private sector, and civil society.
- It aims to foster improved national policy and programme design, as well as implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the Poverty Reduction Strategy.
- CDFO also seeks to strengthen the operational functions of the Bank Group, including the energy sector, by supporting project/programme identification, start-up and monitoring with a view to enhancing portfolio quality through the participatory approach.
- CDFO further seeks to assist the Bank Group's operational functions in terms of project and programme launching and follow-up in Democratic Republic of Congo with a view to enhancing portfolio quality, ownership, participatory approach and regional integration.
- The African Development Bank invites qualified applicants to fill the vacant position of Senior Energy Officer in its Field Office in the Democratic Republic of Congo. This is a local position based in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo, and does not attract international terms and conditions.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the administrative supervision of the Resident Representative in the DRC, and the technical supervision of the Division Manager of the Energy Sector covering Central Africa (ONEC.1) at Headquarters, the energy expert will carry out the following duties:
- Conduct analytical work on the energy sector situation to determine the country's priorities and advise Management on measures enabling sustainable quality results for projects/programmes financed by the Bank;
- Collect, analyse and submit to the Resident Representative and to Headquarters, all the relevant data and documents on the energy sector;
- Contribute to the preparation of Country Strategy Papers (in keeping with national policies and the Bank's strategy for the energy sector), paying particular attention to the development of the sector;
- Support and participate in missions on identification, preparation, appraisal, launching, supervision, mid-term reviews, portfolio reviews and completion of project/programmes in the sector, and contribute to preparation of reports;
- Ensure the follow-up of recommendations emanating from supervision, mid-term reviews, portfolio reviews and accounts audit missions on energy projects/programmes, paying the necessary attention to project monitoring and evaluation;
- Advise and assist energy sector project/programme executing agencies on sector issues, constraints and priorities, technical aspects of projects and Bank rules and procedures, especially with regard to the procurement of goods, works and services as well as disbursement procedures;
- Review bid analysis reports, and evaluate bidders' technical and financial proposals for the projects/programmes contracts to be implemented in the energy sector;
- Represent the Bank at conferences, seminars and national workshops, participate in events and meetings on the energy sector, and provide regular reports to the Resident Representative and the Sector Division Manager;
- Contribute to the strengthening of coordination and dialogue with other donors on activities related to energy projects and programmes, and participate in sector thematic groups;
- Where necessary, assist the Bank with the preparation of policies, procedures and guidelines, and especially ensure their application;
- Provide expert advice and guidance to executing agency officers on sector issues and national priorities, project technical aspects, and Bank rules and procedures, including on procurement of works, goods and services;
- Assist the Bank in its training programmes;
- Provide active support to the government to facilitate loan and grant effectiveness;
- Assist country officers and executing agencies in carrying out procurement activities and disbursements, in compliance with Bank Group rules and procedures;
- Assist the government and executing agencies in the use of working capital and in the preparation of quarterly and audit reports; and
- Participate in other technical tasks entrusted by the Division Manager of the energy sector covering particularly Central Africa; and perform other administrative tasks requested by the Division Manager, the Resident Representative and Management.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of a Master's degree or its equivalent with Specialization in energy and related field.
- A minimum of 5 years professional experience in energy planning and infrastructure development;
- Experience in energy project management and relations with international donors;
- Mastery of standard softwares used in the Bank (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Internet);
- Knowledge of COSTAB software and mastery of SAP will be an advantage;
- Must also possess organizational, planning and designing, research and analytical ability;
- Ability of spoken and written French and/or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.