The Senior Health Economist will be based in the World Bank Country office in Abuja and, working in close collaboration with the Bank team, including Lead Health Specialist and the task-team leaders (TTLs), will:
1. Play a lead role in supporting the Nigerian Federal and State Government and country health teams in strengthening health system performance including financial protection and resource mobilization;
2. Play a critical role in the HNP team’s evolving work program of analytical and advisory activities (AAA) related to health care financing in general and specific activities related to resource tracking, public expenditure reviews, and development of national health accounts;
3. Support the implementation of the National Health Act (NHA) by providing technical assistance to the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) and National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA);
4. Carrying out such AAA as would help strengthen the team’s ability to provide timely and effective advice to the Federal and State Governments;
5. Closely collaborate with the IFC to build effective public-private partnerships and help grow the private sector, especially in those parts of the country where it is under-developed;
6. Actively support the teams implementing the SOML PforR and the NSHIP by participating in supervision missions, providing analytical support to the task teams and clients, and spending time in the field to understand the real challenges facing implementers and beneficiaries;
7. Help ensure close coordination with: (i) government; (ii) a variety of international and local development partners; and (iii) the CMU and Bank team across other sectors;
8. Carry out such tasks as the Practice Manager assigns to support the development of the Bank’s work in health, nutrition, and population in Nigeria.
Client Orientation -- Maintains client relationships in the face of conflicting demands or directions and provides evidence-based advice and solutions based on sound diagnosis and knowledge.
Drive for Results -- Identifies the needed resources to accomplish results involving multiple stakeholders and finds solutions to obstacles affecting key deliverables.
Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion -- Shows leadership in ensuring the team stays organized and focused, and actively seeks and considers diverse ideas and approaches.
Knowledge, Learning and Communication -- Leads in the sharing of best practice, trends, knowledge and lessons learned across units and with clients and partners, articulating ideas verbally and in writing in a clear and compelling way across audiences of varied levels.
Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making - Gathers inputs, assesses risk, considers impact and articulates benefits of decisions for internal and external stakeholders over the long term.
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The selected candidate should have the following minimum qualifications/ experience:
1. Advanced degree in Health Economics (or social sector economics) and at least 8 years of relevant experience;
2. World class knowledge and experience of health economics in developing countries, preferably in a variety of country settings;
3. Strong knowledge and understanding of Health, Nutrition and Population issues, political economy, institutional economics, and governance;
4. Proven analytical and quantitative skills including significant journal publications. Knowledge of impact evaluation will be an asset.
5. Excellent English language writing and oral communications skills. Must be a compelling speaker and an effective advocate for effective health policies;
6. Strong diplomatic skills and success working in teams both as a team member and as a team leader. Demonstrated ability to deal sensitively in multi-cultural environments and build effective working relations with clients and colleagues. Proven ability to function effectively in multi-disciplinary teams;
7. Knowledge of results-based financing (RBF) mechanisms would be an advantage.