Location: Cote d'Ivoire
Position N°: 50076300
- The principal objective of the General Counsel and Legal Services Department (GECL) is to protect the interests of the Bank in connection with all aspects of the business of the Bank Group, including providing legal opinion, drafting all legal instruments required for the Bank’s activities as well representing the Bank in litigation internally and externally.
- The role of the Administrative Affairs Division (GECL4) is to provide legal advice and assistance in connection with (i) all legal aspects pertaining to the Bank’s rules, regulations, procedures and processes other than those related to the Bank’s financing, borrowing and investment activities, (ii) institutional procurement, (iii) corporate legal issues arising from the interpretation and application of various Bank instruments, and (iv) human resources and personnel matters. GECL4 is also tasked with preparing the defense of the Bank and of representing the Bank in internal and external litigation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Division Manager of the Administrative Affairs (GECL.4), the incumbent shall carry out the following:
- Prepare drafts of opinions on constitutional and corporate legal issues arising from the interpretation and application of the African Development Bank’s Charter (the Bank);
- Advise on matters pertaining to the privileges, immunities and exemptions of the Bank and the Fund and those of officers, employees, experts and consultants of the Bank;
- Participate in the preparation and representation of the defence of the Bank in litigation, arbitration, other administrative or legal proceedings including internal administrative review and appeal and tribunal proceedings and other matters in which the Bank is a party or may have an interest;
- Advise on, negotiate, and prepare contracts for the acquisition of goods and services for the Bank including consulting and professional services, intellectual property, technology and other products, in accordance with the Bank’s procurement rules and financial regulations, and provide legal support and advice regarding existing contracts or new contracts to be entered into;
- Draft legal opinions and memoranda on all administrative and human resources management matters of the Bank, including the draft, review and amend all contracts and legal documents and advise on all legal questions relating to administrative and personnel matters, such as employment contracts and staff benefits;
- Advise on insurance matters and on administrative and policy matters concerning Staff Retirement Plan and Medical Benefits Plan, and provide legal support that may be required in respect of the Staff Retirement Plan and the Medical Benefits Plan;
- Provide legal services in the negotiation and finalising of legal instruments of co-operation between the Bank and the Fund and bilateral and multilateral partners; prepare, negotiate and finalize host agreements and other instruments required to ensure the Bank’s presence in its member countries;
- Maintain existing contact with legal services of other multilateral institutions and of member states and with the legal profession in general in member states of the Bank on matters relating to the functions and activities of the Bank and Fund;
- Undertake such other assignments as may be required.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of Master’s degree in Law, and admission to the Bar of one of the African Development Bank member countries; or
- A Bachelor’s degree with a relevant combination of academic qualification in law e.g. Juris Doctor (JD) and with admission to the Bar of one of the African Development Bank member countries;
- At least five (5) years of relevant experience, preferably with an established law firm, with proven administrative experience;
- Proven competence in Contract, Corporate, and Public International Law;
- High level skills in communication, team building, inter-personal, writing and analytical skills;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English and/or French. Working knowledge of the second language will be an advantage.
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP will be a plus.