The principal objective of the General Counsel and Legal Services Department (GECL) is to protect the interests of the Bank. In this connection, the Department provides legal services required by the entities constituting the Bank Group, and ensures that the Bank Group’s activities and operations are consistent with its constitutive documents and other applicable legal texts, as well as applicable law.
The main activities of the Public Sector Operations, Policy and Governance Division is to provide legal support, advice, and services in connection with public sector transactions, projects and programs financed by the African Development Bank (ADB), the African Development Fund (ADF) and other special vehicles such as trust funds and special funds (Together the “Bank Group”).
Duties and responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Division Manager, GECL.1, the Senior Legal Counsel will perform the following activities in connection with the public sector activities of the Bank Group:
- Draft, review, negotiate and provide legal opinion on agreements, contracts and other formal arrangements for operational activities of the Bank Group with members, international organizations and governmental and non-governmental entities;
- Provide legal assistance for loans, grants and related operations of the Bank Group, throughout the identification, preparation, appraisal, supervision and post-evaluation stages;
- Assist for the design of projects and programs from inception to completion in compliance with the Bank’s policies, rules, and guidelines as well as minimize risks that may impede the achievement of desirable outcomes;
- Participate at meetings and provide legal support to project teams including the structure of the project, type of financing instruments, terms of financing, implementation arrangements and compliance with the relevant Bank Group applicable policies, rules and regulations;
- Negotiate, draft or amend loan, equity participation, grant, guarantee and other financing and co-financing agreements with other multilateral and bilateral financial institutions;
- Provide legal opinions on the entry into force and execution of such agreements and arrangements, including the review of legal and operational documents submitted in fulfilment of loan and grant conditions;
- Provide legal support and technical assistance to regional member countries and to regional and sub-regional institutions in connection with matters pertaining to the purpose, functions and activities of the Bank and to developmental issues and activities;
- Provide legal assistance for the drafting of all operational policies, directives and instructions of the Bank Group;
- Provide legal assistance for negotiation and implementation of bilateral and multilateral cooperation arrangements;
- Draft, revise or amend and submit to the Board of Directors of the Bank and the Fund resolutions pertaining to public sector projects and programs;
- Participate in project and program appraisal missions and review project concept notes, project appraisal reports and other internal Bank project documents; and
- Undertake such other assignments as required in furtherance of the Department's mandate.