- The overall aim of the position is to provide technical leadership for the implementation of the newborn health component of the Maternal and Child Survival Program (MCSP).
- The position will support and supervise the work of the two MCSP Newborn Health Advisers located and working in Kogi and Ebonyi states.
- The adviser will also support Federal Ministry of Health, National Primary Health Care Development Agency, and State Ministries of Health and partner organizations to improve the quality of care for pregnant women, mothers and newborn infants within the framework of the National Integrated Maternal, Newborn, and Child Health (IMNH) strategy, the child survival call to action road map in the context of the Saving One Million Lives Initiative of the government, Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Program (SURE-P) and the Midwifery Service Scheme, providing technical inputs with respect to maternal & newborn health and technical leadership on this work for the MCSP Program Nigeria.
- S/he will provide technical support and work closely with the Pediatric Association of Nigeria (PAN) and the Nigeria Society of Neonatal Medicine (NISONM) in the two States - Ebonyi and Kogi - and when appropriate in other states in Nigeria where the Helping 100,000 Babies Survive and Thrive Initiative have activities.
- Also to work with other provisional associations including Nigeria Association of Nurses and Midwives, and the Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics of Nigeria (SOGON) and other implementing partners to improve policy environment for the implementation of maternal & newborn health interventions; galvanise partner support for policy change for women and children in areas.